40" TV - advice needed

Bagsofsmoke

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I need to replace my ageing Toshiba with a new TV. There are a few quirks of its location in our living room however which make the selection of a new model slightly tricky.

Essentially, it will sit in an alcove in a corner of the room, and so ideally needs either a rotating base (like our current Toshiba) or one small enough that the whole thing can be angled towards the sofas without the front of the stand hanging over the edge of the cabinet on which it will sit.

Given the dimensions of the alcove too, a TV bigger than about 92cm probably won't fit, so we're pretty much limited to a 40" set.

I don't want to go crazy price-wise, and I'm not a huge fan of curved screens. As for HD vs UHD, I'm of the view that there's so little UHD content, it doesn't seem worth getting a 4k screen as only a handful of Amazon Prime titles will make use of it. I'm open to persuasion though!

In terms of upscaling, would a 4k/UHD tv handle standard definition TV ok (as that would still account for the majority of content we watch).

I watch a lot of sport, and will also use it for gaming (at present with an Xbox360 but potentially in future with an XboxOne or PS4), so it would need to handle fast-moving pictures reasonably well (and have acceptable input lag).

Any ideas welcome.

I was thinking of the Samsung UE40H6400. Does anyone know if its base swivels? It also seems to be c.2 years old - is there a newer model with similar / better specs?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

I'm in the same market. Currently looking at any new models that are appearing. Most of what is around at the moment are last years stock, hence the price bargains. I haven't seen a swivelling base (like my aging Sony) on anything. I've looked at the new Sony 40WD653BU @ £449 which is OK although the controls seem a bit sluggish and it only has 2 HDMI sockets. I have also seen the Panasonic Viera 40DX600B which is 4k and currently at a lowered price (£100 off already) at £499.95. I'm very tempted by this, but it seemed to struggle with SD channels. It has Freeview Play incorporated but only a few channels can be recalled in HD so the quality of replay material is rough.

Not seen anything new from LG and Samsung yet so I might wait. Samsung, as ever, have a wide range of models coming up. Not expecting to pay more than £500. I looked at both these sets on HD transmissions which what I will primarily be watching. Don't be fooled by the dealers who plug in 4k demos on memory sticks. They look good but that is no use if your main viewing is HD and SD. 'Future proof' is the sales patter.

Thanks Mike. 2 HDMI sockets would be a deal breaker - I need three minimum (Amazon Fire stick, Xbox and Sky box) as at the moment I'm having to swap the Xbox and Amazon ones when required which is irritating.

I don't mind waiting a bit but I can't imagine there are any compelling Full HD sets coming up, or are there?

The H6400 does swivel. Very good tv at a very low price. Really there's nothing else that comes close and I don't think 4k would be worth unless you sit closer than 5ft from screen.

The 6400 does swivel on its base but be wary of lip sync issues. I'm currently on my 2nd set and suffering with it still so will be contacting RS soon to get something sorted. Not sure what to do about replacement yet or what they can offer

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom