Question 40" to 50" tv for Mother in Law

mjbtin

The tv will be used with a Panasonic blu ray freeview recorder.95% of viewing will be freeview so mainly sd and 5 hd channels.
Tia

Martin

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
Hi Martin some questions..
Budget? Viewing environment? (i.e. lighting and viewing angles off centre to TV?)
Does she view Freeview via the Panasonic BRP/HDR or direct via TV tuner?

Last edited:

mjbtin

Direct viewing,living room so can be light controlled.All viewing from the panasonic freeview hd recorder.Budget upto approx £400.

Dodgexander

Any 50" model will be fine in those conditions, I'd opt for a 50" Hisense since they are the best value.

I would suggest getting a 50" Samsung or LG model instead since they have better upscaling, but by using a recorder the TV is already going to be sent a 1080i/p signal, so the upscaling of SD content won't be touched by the TV at all.
Maybe she will prefer those brands, or you feel the smart system is worth paying extra for.
HD>UHD upscaling is no trouble for any TV.

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
Personally given budget and apparently no need of a 4K UHD TV at all I would recommend

Sony Bravia KDL43WF663 LED HDR Full HD 1080p Smart TV, 43" with Freeview Play & Cable Management, Black
£379.00
Free delivery at John Lewis with 5 year warranty.

Why upscale to UHD ( 1080i the 5 HD Freeview channels) and otherwise already upscaled SD to 1080 i/p when it is not necessary. A 4k UHD TV will thus potentially look worse displaying these sources than a full HD TV as suggested above.

Last edited:

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
........but by using a recorder the TV is already going to be sent a 1080i/p signal, so the upscaling of SD content won't be touched by the TV at all.
HD>UHD upscaling is no trouble for any TV.
Most of freeview is still SD 576i and whilst the Panasonic is upscaling this to 1080i it is still being upscaled again by a 4K TV. So if no requirement for 4K why bother?
Disagree that HD >UHD scaling is no trouble for any TV - as I gain more experience of today's TV's then some I agree are good but many are poor but none are perfect. Given the OP's requirements and budget I think his Mother in Law will be happy for years to come with a full HD rather than a 4K UHD TV.

I cannot see any 4KUHD FTA Freeview channels being available until further compressed codecs and 1024QAM capability is possible.......so years away!

Dodgexander

Most of freeview is still SD 576i and whilst the Panasonic is upscaling this to 1080i it is still being upscaled again by a 4K TV. So if no requirement for 4K why bother?
Disagree that HD >UHD scaling is no trouble for any TV - as I gain more experience of today's TV's then some I agree are good but many are poor but none are perfect. Given the OP's requirements and budget I think his Mother in Law will be happy for years to come with a full HD rather than a 4K UHD TV.

I cannot see any 4KUHD FTA Freeview channels being available until further compressed codecs and 1024QAM capability is possible.......so years away!
I don't disagree. Just saying that a cheap Hisense model without a dedicated picture processor is going to look the same upscaling 1080i/p as a cheap LG/Samsung model despite the upscaling itself tending to be better on those models. Why? Because the upscaling of both is a relatively easy process.

What I didn't mean to insinuate was that upscaling to 4k in general was a good thing. Any upscaling that has to be added to the source will only diminish the picture quality.

For the OPs mother-in-law the Sony you suggested is a good choice from strictly the standpoint of upscaling, but perhaps not in a room where lighting can be controlled to dim conditions, then a TV using a VA panel instead (like 40" HD Sony's) will look better.

But I think I'm giving up suggesting HD models just because they aren't as readily available and manufacturers give them worst specs in terms of smart TV. Not just that, but generally I'd say 90% of people I've explained getting a HD TV is better for their usage in the past has ended up buying a 4k model anyway.

The info regarding upscaling, and UHD vs HD is in my signature link (guide roundup) so its there if people want to read it. Just most people don't, and even if they do, its not what they want to hear.

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
For the OPs mother-in-law the Sony you suggested is a good choice from strictly the standpoint of upscaling, but perhaps not in a room where lighting can be controlled to dim conditions, then a TV using a VA panel instead (like 40" HD Sony's) will look better.
He did not say that lighting was fully controllable to very dim/dark conditions but implied much of viewing wouuld be in day light. I doubt that VA v IPS is an issue here. Cant see any downsides to Sony I suggested. Given budget what other TV do you recommend?

Dodgexander

He did not say that lighting was fully controllable to very dim/dark conditions but implied much of viewing wouuld be in day light. I doubt that VA v IPS is an issue here. Cant see any downsides to Sony I suggested. Given budget what other TV do you recommend?
He mentioned that viewing angles are direct-on and light can be controlled which suggests the benefits of a VA panel can be used from if she wanted too.

I agree though, for most mums its a non-issue between panel types.

I think most people will only be interested in buying an UHD model, despite the forfeits in quality due to extra upscaling, I'll go with what I usually advise at this end of the market and to spend as little money as possible and go for a Hisense A series. Some people prefer Korean brands more though, in which case if 50" go for a Samsung or LG.

If OP is also considering smaller TVs, recommendations change because panels change depending on the size of the TV.

If the OP is only interested in picture quality and thinks his mother-in-law is always going to view in bright conditions, I see nothing wrong with your suggestion.

mjbtin

Thanks for all the help/input guys.
Ended up getting her a used 4yr old 40"1080p Samsung and she is really happy with it:)

Martin

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom