1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

40"+ LCD or Plasma

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by djerwood, Oct 26, 2005.

1. djerwood

djerwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I need to invest in a new TV but cant decide between LCD and Plasma. I dont really want to spend more than £2000 although a couple of tv's I like are just over.

I am interested in the
    Pioneer PDP436XDE (Plasma) £2200
    Sony KDLV40a12 (LCD) £2049
    Panasonic TH-42PV500 £2003

I really dont know what to choose and want to spend as little as possible but want a good tv.

Any suggestions and recommendations would be much appreciated.

2. mister meaner

mister meaner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had exactly the same models as you on my list a few weeks ago, and even tried to order some of them but the shops had no stock and the price was on the limit of what I wanted to spend really.

Ended up with a Samsung 40" LCD and I'm glad I did that for a number of reasons...

1. Its lighter, thinner and easier to wall mount using VESA mountings.
    2. Its cheaper, and IMHO more reliable tech than plasma, so warranty is less of an issue. It also means I can replace it earlier if I want to.
    3. The size an quality are just right. Its my first big TV and LCD to boot, so I have been shocked by how far current standard TV signals lag behind the abilities of the TV.

Overall, been very happy with my choice so far, plus I got a TV delivered when I want it. At the point of ordering some stores were quoting 8 weeks on the Panasonic, and the Pioneer price was too high when you factor in the optional necessities like speakers and a stand.

You have to decide what suits you best...

3. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    All excellent units - but then, the same money in 4 months time just might pick you up a Benq 46" LCD with full HD resolution - 1920x1080.
    I don't know what to suggest, since the Panny and Pioneer are the best of their technology, and the New Sony's are equally mighty impressive.
    Ultimately you might just have to draw straws or get the one that appeals to you the most.
    On one aspect alone - weight - I'd go with LCD, oh, and power consumption. Otherwise - there's next to nothing to separate them in performance and longevity.

4. djerwood

djerwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that info, Was it the Samsung LE40R51B you purchased. Out of interest what do you have connected to it. How is it performing?

5. mister meaner

mister meaner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is the LE40R51B. I was tempted by the newer model the 'M61' series, but again, your talking £2200 and very limited supply.

I have it connected to a Samsung upscaling DVD player (the HD750) and a Sony freeview box.

Before this I had a trusty 15yr old 20" CRT, so the change is a bit mindblowing to be honest.

Performace is very good. There is a review in What Home Cinema this month of this model and they give it 90%. Have to say I agree with everything in that review (except their critisism of the max volume - I think its really loud - I only have it set on 1/4 of max most of the time).

Picture quality is excellent and DNIe works a treat although the overall black level is not as good as a CRT, as you would & should expect from an LCD IMO. Price / Performance / Features / Sound are great, overall i'd say 9/10.

Like I said, the thing that shocks you most is how bad traditional TV images actually are when you see them under a microscope like this. Poor studio lighting, naff outdoor TV cameras, bad exposure levels all get magnified massively compared to a small CRT.

Upscaled DVD's however are excellent, especially CGI films like ICE AGE, Shrek etc. Breath-takingly clear images bodes well for HD-DVD. I really wish you could get a Freeview box with a Faroudja DCDi chip inside and hi-def output. I'd certainly buy one without hesitation because the scaling and picture cleaning they can acheive seems fantastic.

Overall, this set comes highly recommended, and that is unusual for me because I'm quite critical and I know its not a 'perfect' product - but what is?