1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

40" LCD or 42" Plasma?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Bandittto, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Bandittto

Bandittto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    New to the scene of home cinema I have taken the decision to purchase and install. Not being a techie I intend to purchase an off the shelf solution for audio (£400ish) a DVD rewriter (£300ish) and a video display (£2K-£3K).

Primary use will be to watch SKY+ and DVDs (80/20)

Having shopped around I am tempted by the variety of sub £2K plasmas (TWP4205PL;MZ42PZ44; C32PD3000; HPT-4240 etc) however I was advised that the new Samsung 403T (40" LCD) will likely drop in price (£2.5K by Summer) and a raft of similar LCD technology will hit the streets shortly (also pushing down the price).

The main advantage, I am informed, is that LCD displays are 'servicable and repairable' whilst the plasma is not. Additionally the LCD will not suffer from screen burn and plasma technology has peaked meaning the manufacturers profit margin will prevent any further reductions.....

Am I misinformed? Am I dreaming?

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,907
    I couldn't comment on the likely drop in prices etc.

LCDs do not suffer Screen Burn. Plasmas can, although whether this is a real issue in normal use is moot.

The 'look' of an LCD picture is quite different to Plasma. There is often a little less contrast (grey blacks) and there are many, more subtle, other differences.

The issue of serviceability probably refers to the means of producing light (which is probably the only component likely to 'age'). On a Plasma, the whole screen produces the light. If it ages, the whole thing needs replacing. On an LCD the light is produced by a neon or fluorescent lamp - which is a replaceable component. (BTW, Sharp claim 60,000 hours life for their backlights). LCD arrays themselves are not known to age.

In order to make a choice, you have to work out whether you prefer this subtly different look of one over the other. And you can only do that by getting decent demos of sets that are being driven with decent quality signals (not usually the case in the likes of Currys and Comet, unfortunately).

There will inevitably follow a barrage of comment from happy Plasma users who will illuminate you about why they are better than LCDs. And vice versa.

It is a matter of personal preference.