40" LCD onto plasterboard wall

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by koeman, Aug 9, 2012.

1. koeman

koeman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +463
    I have a 40" Samsung LCD and now have a wall mounting bracket which i am going to attempt to fit this weekend.

I have read various guides about looking for the wood joists, however there doesnt seem to be any! i have found a solid point running vertical from a fused spur so presume thats cable tray. The house is only 12 months old.

Would there be a different build method used? what should i look out for??

help!!! :lease:

2. shortyav

shortyav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    This sounds very cleche, however if you really arent sure about how to go about this try to find someone who is. Its all well and good reading guides and following basic instructions, however we all find our way around houses with a combination of expreince, understanding of construction and instinct. A lot of the time when we are working in a property we encounter the unknown and use these skills to get around them. You can be shown you how to play several chords on a guitar but that doesnt mean you can play one. Sorry to sound so negative but try to get someone who can work out the construction to help. HTH Shorty.

3. QBSBuck

QBSBuck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    Could be dot and dab onto a brick wall. Have you tried an exploratory drill clear of pipes and cables? You do have a pipe/cable/joist detector?

4. shortyav

shortyav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    BTW if its not stud its possible that its dot and dab (board stuck to a solid substrate with adhesive). This can be determined by tapping wall and having hollow/solid areas in a random pattern. However more and more polystyrene foam is being used in construction these days either injected into conventional studwork or part of a construction system.

5. koeman

koeman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +463
    i do have a pipe detector yes.

it does sound hollow/solid randomly. it could be dot and dab yes, i'll have a drill and a poke about. if it is, i presume i just anchor straight through into the wall, avoiding the cable tray.

thanks for the help so far.

6. shortyav

shortyav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Again sorry to be doom and gloom. Not all detectors are accurate unless its a very good one it may not detect all thats lurking so proceed with caution, common sense will help too- eg is there a socket below where you will drill. Also dont forget lots of pipes are plastic these days. There are many posts on here about the use of rigifix bolts etc which are suitable for this type of application.

7. neilball

neilball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +642
    With a 12 month old house it may be the developere used a metal stud system, this makes it much harder to find the metal studs, and even then they are not as solid and much narrower making it more difficult to find them and fix to them.