1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

40" LCD new samsung or 37" ???

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Phill1978, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Phill1978

Phill1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    ok hearing of the toshibas and its exellent reivews as a 37" LC screen im dismayed to hear of problems relating to noise and humming + other issues seems like manufacturers are so desparate to release the lastest spec kit there releasing unfinished poor quality products.

went to currys to day (just to look) noticed the Neovo thingy from france 37" £1200 !! HDMI-DVI, 1368 (or simular) x 768 + comonent input and RGB PC input. looked a bit taky but ok i guess as long as the performance is there.
    then i saw a samsung 26" ans 32" LCD running a demo DVD via scart (although the machine had dvi but they werent using it ??? :confused: )

the picture on the samsung given the cheap DVD player and scart connector to a DVD (which is only mid-definition) was really nice and sort of what i expected from HI-DEF problem is there isnt a 37£ only a 40" is it a new one thats coming out or the old 40" (which i dont want)
    it seems the only two options avaliable are panasonic which looked the worse and the phillips which i have to admit looked the best but the toshiba WL5? wasnt far from the phillips and better in some respects if only it didnt have the problems mentioned id have myself a screen.

What is the most future proof 37"/40" LCD screen out there with 13** x 768 res and HCDP or HDMI DVI with pc capability for £2000 (considering internet discounts) is there one out ?? i hate plasma so its deffo LCD.

also PMSL at the sale guy who told me the biggest load of crap ever as to how the panasonic 800 x 600 panel didnt need any mods to recieve HI-DEF but the HDready panel toshiba did ??? what the fudge :rotfl:

answers on a postcard

2. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    You've omitted Sharp's soon to arrive GA6/GD7 (normal/iDTV), as well as JVC's much vaunted DS6, as well as Loewe's offerings. The Loewe has 37" now, but the new model coming in Sept is only 26 & 32 thus far - 37" later?
    I believe JVC's 37" is available very soon - like Sharp, by month end.

3. braveknight

braveknight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, there is a new Samsung model - LE40R51B. With internet discounts, you can get it for under £1700.

4. Phill1978

Phill1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    yea the sales guy mentioned a LE40R51BX 40" LCD

£1,999 from currys. so i expect £1700 on the web.

is this any good ? if its the same quality as the 32", 26" screens then im in luck. as long as it can do all the things needed i.e PC widescreen 1300 x 700 (you know what i mean) and x360 + blue ray to at least 80% of its full obviously not 1980 x 1080 P or whatever but at least better than those 800 x 600 panels.

i did notice the 26" was brighter by around 20% over the 32" so i imagine the 26" will be a whole 40% brighter than the 40"

has anyone got one of these ??? are they too big for the res, i.e il only be sitting 3 meters away from the 40" ( 9.8 Ft) is that to close will i see to much pixellation. 32" just seems too small even tuogh at that price i can get a 32" philips with ambi-light.

should i just get one and rearrange my room as i can work out upto 4meters of distance for the 40" which is 13ft away surley enough ?

5. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    I'd advocate sitting further away if you can, but only you can justify rearranging your room in order to do so.
    That said, for the money, it's an absolute steal, but maybe you'd be better to consider spending the same £1700 on a 37" from the ones I mentioned above. Bear in mind Sony have new models coming very soon, and they've reecived quite a bit of talking about in the Sony thread.
    I certainly wouldn't do any harm to wait a wee while longer before taking the plunge. That way you'll not be kicking yourself for not having waited if any of the others prove to be a better option for the same money.

6. Phill1978

Phill1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    good point. il take a look at the 37" you mentioned. but in the end il propbably plump for a larger screen i.e the 40" as it has to last five years and the worst thing would not be average picture quality but the fact that i would be sat there thinking i wonder what it would be like a few inches bigger :D
    but then again, dont we all !

7. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    No, it's not the size, but what you can do with it - and you can do the same things with a 37"er as you can with a 40"er.
    Those obsessed with size, inevitably never find happiness. :rotfl:

Right, enough of the double entendres - if you think the 40" screen will be better than the 37" ones from others, then that's all that matters. As for the Sonys - 42", IIRC, is available now. Not sure if the new ones coming soon will include its replacement - that could be later in the year, or start of next, but current prices are around £2.5K mark - so not an option really, perhaps.
    In all honesty, I believe you'll notice more differences with the image displayed than the actual size, so that's why I suggest you seriously consider the 37"ers coming in the next month. If they don't honestly offer anything more/better than the Samsung 40", then you'll know you're making the right decision.

8. Phill1978

Phill1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    what 37"ers are out next month that are around £1500-£2000 max ?

btw i have seen the 40" samsung (same as the 32" models thats got 145pages of replys on this LCD section) priced at £1700 inc vat !

not bad for a hi-def 40" screen imo or a 40" widecreen monitor for that matter considering Apple Mac 23" screens are £1200. and 32" CTR`s used to cost £1500 for a decent one and £1800 for the top of the lines toshibas with DD + sub, stand.