40" LCD in 10' X 14' Room

Chugster

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've just bought a 40" Samsung LCD for my front room and am now unsure whether a screen this size is too much for aroom this size. Do you think it is too big or is it just that I need to get used to it ? (I have upgraded from a 28" 4:3 CRT).

i have a 23" in a 10 x 10 room :rotfl: it's not too small, but it hangs rather inconspicuously on the wall.

I have little experience of large telly's, I have seen a 46" TV in a room maybe 20 x 20 and to me it seems big. I do get used to watching it though. Give it some time.

Being that close to such a large tv will mean that you'll want to very seriously consider HD sources instead of standard TV.

We have a 40" LCD in out 13' * 13' room and I had the same worries as you when I ordered it. I'm so glad I did now.

However word of warning, when its delivered, and you take it out the box your going to have a heart attack, because no matter howm much you try to visualise it, or how often you have gone to the shops and looked at a 40" TV, its going to be much much bigger in reality at first than you ever imagine. :clap:

Its a shock at first, but eventually it just becomes part of the room and takes less footprint space than you think.

Dont worry, you obviously want a big screen so just why not have what you want, you will never be happy with a smaller one if you dont at least try it out.

My room's 17*11 and I have a 37" Plasma.

Boy do I wish I had a 50" now:rolleyes:

I think 40" will be fine.

Have no fear - it's not too big.

Our room is about 20 X 13. Longwise we have a 56in TV furthest seating is about 18 ft. from the tv.

Width wise we have our front projector on a shelf that throws a 120 inch diagonal image to the facing wall screen just 12 ft away from the projector lens.

Neither is too much screen for the room.

I don't think someone will ever wish they had bought a smaller screen but often will wish they had bought a bigger one.
goodluck and enjoy

I've just bought a 40" Samsung LCD for my front room and am now unsure whether a screen this size is too much for aroom this size. Do you think it is too big or is it just that I need to get used to it ? (I have upgraded from a 28" 4:3 CRT).

It'll be fine. It's amazing how quickly you get used to the size of TV's, etc.

I have a 42" plasma in a 15' x 12' room along with a 92" projector screen. :)

I have a 55" TV and I view it from a distance of about 8 feet. I wouldn't want to sit any farther away than that. I could probably even move it in to 7 feet.

Check out this thread: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312431

As Broadsword says, televisions shrink after you buy them. When you first take them out of the box you think "holy crap, that's huge! :eek: " but after a few weeks you find yourself wishing you'd bought a larger model and when you walk round the TV section in John Lewis you think "wow, these all look so tiny! :)"

(I wish I could have afforded the 70" version of my own TV! :( )

In 1971 I moved into a new house with a 25" inch tv.
I replaced it with a 29" Philips which seemed enormous.
This set lasted 14 years and still shows my sister a beautiful picture.
A 36" Philips CRT replaced this-it looked totally out of place-it had a beautiful picture. This was mounted on a cabinet but looked really ugly.Only lasted 18 months.
A 37" Philips LCD wall mounted soon took over bt only lasted two years-soon to be replaced by a 46" Sony, mounted on a swinging arm Vogel bracket, as was the Philips.
Looks fantastic and picture is really excellent.
We both like watching the telly-now they are not a piece of furniture.
The bigger the picture the better.
I saw the 52" version of the Sony in Costco last week-unfortunately not available when I bought the 46"- if so the 52" would now be mounted on the wall.
The boss says size really does matter

:lesson::lesson::lesson:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom