40" LCD at 3.5m overkill??

mikeclark007

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

I've checked with all the calculators on the net to see what would be an acceptable size for my new TV in relation to my viewing distance (approx. 3.5m). It looks like i'm borderline on getting a 40".
Just wanted to get anyones thoughts who actually have this sized TV at this distance and whether it would be overkill or not. Im preferably after a Sony set that allows 1080p as I may as well take advantage of my Blu-Ray collection for my PS3. I will also be watching Sky HD (mainly for footy).
Thoughts are appreciated.

Mike. :thumbsup:

^^
:smashin:

Hi,

I've a 40" Sony at a around 3 meters head to screen it's fabolous; the Bravia Handles standard def so well that it looks lovely; and you'll see every last detail in high-def.. go for it! :thumbsup:

Regards

Kendal

Hi,

I've a 40" Sony at a around 3 meters head to screen it's fabolous; the Bravia Handles standard def so well that it looks lovely; and you'll see every last detail in high-def.. go for it! :thumbsup:

Regards

Kendal

Thanks mate - just the opinion i was hoping for. I'm eyeing up either the W3000, X3000 or X3500. I've been on the Sony website to compare the 3 and there doesnt appear to be much difference (maybe apart form contrast ratios if i remember correctly)

There seems to be a fair bit of variation in these calculators, which one did you use?

I've got pretty much dead on three metres and the 26" in place at the moment is just a little bit too small.

I previously had 60" at about 3.25 metres and that, whilst nice was a bit too overwhelming.

If anything this is underkill as you probably won't see any extra benefit from 1080p from that far away. 5.5" is the recommended distance for a 40" TV if you want to make the most out of 1080p sources.

well i just purchased the v3000 40" and will be sitting about 8ft away, so will post my opinion once it arrives on saturday morning. Really hope it looks good :rolleyes:

Forget about those recommended distances.
It's all about the expercience you want to get out of it.

40" at 3,5m in my opinion isen't overkill.

^^ anyone else.

Also with the 3 Sony models I mentioned in my earlier post (W3000, X3000, X3500) i noticed these are quite recent releases. Just wondering if anyone knows when the next wave of sony TV's will be coming out. I'm inclined to stick with one of the above but i'm also intrigued by Panasonics "spring" releases of their new PX80 etc series. :confused:

I've had a Sony 40X2000 in my living room for over a year and view from a distance of ~2.7m, sometime less. Sky HD looks superb, as do my D-SLR photos at 1920*1080 fed from my PC over DVI -> HDMI. The 40" screen is a very comfortable fit and, to be honest, 46" would not look out of place. For computer use 1920*1080p is a worthwhile benefit over 1366*720. This TV does a superb job of making Freeview or Sky SD look bearable as well, with some manual tweaking of settings. Out of the box things look nasty.

I've just ordered a Toshiba 40XF355DB for the bedroom (£925 delivered) and I just hope I can get equivalent PQ from that for Freeview - fingers crossed - it arrives next week.

Hardly, at ~11.5ft, the ideal size is roughly 103" if you're using 1080p content, with the smallest recommended size being 73"

Just need the mansion to compensate for the huge tv then? :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom