Quantcast

40"(ish) gaming TV for £350?

Deicist

Standard Member
Howdo,

I'm in the market for a cheap TV to be used mainly as a display for my PC, but it will be going in the lounge so it'll also be my main telly (I don't actually watch that much telly, hence the 'mainly gaming').

I currently have a non-hdmi AV receiver handling my audio and input switching, and I won't be able to upgrade that just yet so connectivity is important... I guess I'll have to plug my sources straight into the telly and route the audio out of the telly via an optical out into the AV receiver. Or something.

Anyway, there seems to be a reasonable amount of choice in this price range and, while I'm not expecting miracles for my budget I would like to end up with something reasonable.

Here's what I've been considering:

LG 42LK450U - £338 (42 inch!)
Toshiba 40BV801B - £350
Samsung LE40D503 - £350
Samsung - PS43D450 - £329 (43 inch plasma, not sure if this is 1080p though)

or there's this one I've been tempted by, but the sensible side of me is saying it's obviously going to be rubbish:

Manta '3D' LCD4214 42-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD 3D: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

passive 3d, 42 inch set for £349?

vickster

Distinguished Member
That plasma is not 1080p, that Samsung LCD is not meant to be very good picture and motion handling wise, nor the Toshiba, which leaves the LG as the best of a not very good bunch

Plasma would be good for gaming - good motion, better blacks, no issue with viewing angles, lower input lag

The full HD Panasonic 42S30 is £400 from Amazon I think

I wouldn't touch the Manta with a bargepole personally

Deicist

Standard Member
That samsung is the one I originally listed (I've seen it for £350. Think it was at curry's, or maybe tesco direct)

Vickster commented that it wasn't meant to be very good...

The panasonic plasma looks good, however there's a couple of things I'm worried about:

I've always been warned off plasmas, due to them not being as bright and being generally less sharp than LCDs. Also, it's impossible to find a side on shot of the panasonic on the web, and all the reviews I've read say it's pretty deep.

I'll see if I can find either a picture or one in a showroom near me to have a look at.

Thanks for the input, keep it coming!

I've also seen this own brand tesco model for £299

Luxor LUX-40-914-TVB 40ins Full HD LCD TV | TVs | ASDA direct

Any thoughts on that? I'm assuming it won't match the Panasonic for picture quality, but is it £100 worse?

Pistachio

That samsung is the one I originally listed (I've seen it for £350. Think it was at curry's, or maybe tesco direct)

Vickster commented that it wasn't meant to be very good...

The panasonic plasma looks good, however there's a couple of things I'm worried about:

I've always been warned off plasmas, due to them not being as bright and being generally less sharp than LCDs. Also, it's impossible to find a side on shot of the panasonic on the web, and all the reviews I've read say it's pretty deep.

I'll see if I can find either a picture or one in a showroom near me to have a look at.

Thanks for the input, keep it coming!

I've also seen this own brand tesco model for £299

Luxor LUX-40-914-TVB 40ins Full HD LCD TV | TVs | ASDA direct

Any thoughts on that? I'm assuming it won't match the Panasonic for picture quality, but is it £100 worse?

The samsung that you originally quoted was the Samsung LE40D503 - £350 - which is the basic LCD tv. The one that I was referring to was the LE40D5003 (with an extra 0) - which is the LED-LCD backlit version. This one seems to have some solid reviews.

I am not sure about the Luxor you mentioned - may be a leap into the unknown.

Deicist

Standard Member
Ah, apologies, I didn't realise they were 2 seperate models!

So, I guess it comes down to:

Samsung LE40D5003 LED TV:

Pros: brighter picture, slimmer design
cons: 'only' 40" screen, 2 HDMI, no PC input, no optical audio output

Panasonic 42S30 PLasma

Pros: slightly bigger screen, more inputs, generally better picture
cons: bulkier design, slightly more expensive.

I think I'm veering towards the panasonic, but I wish I could see what it looks like from the side to judge how bulky it really is.

vickster

Distinguished Member
Enjoy. Just confirm what state it is in - these 'last few' deals can be ex display, customer returns etc (best pay the extra £45 for warranty on that basis I'd say)

Upon last refresh of the website - they had only 9 around the country - is your local store in the list?

Edinburgh
Exeter
Glasgow
Guildford (2)
Lichfield
London Southgate
Nottingham
Tunbridge Wells

Deicist

Standard Member
Nope, I'm near manchester... I was going to do the 'buy over the phone' thing.

Amazon also has them for £450... but I guess they don't have stock as it says 'usually ships in 1 to 2 months'.

John Lewis has them, but they're £549, which is more than I want to pay.

vickster

Distinguished Member
Worth a try - they've always been much more of a buy in store company - maybe they have moved on

I don't think you'll find cheaper than JL now

Pistachio