40~ ethernet from loft to understairs

chrisevans1001

Novice Member
Reaction score
I've installed ethernet from all the points I want it in the house back to a cupboard in a spare bedroom. I kidded myself that I would be happy enough with everything housed in a rack there as I couldn't establish what problems I'd hit getting the cables into my understairs cupboard space instead. I've now decided it was wrong and would like to finish off the task and get the cables understairs.

My plan is to route them down through the airing cupboard wall. These are hollow metal frames and so dropping cables down them has been a doddle. However, I have reservations about what obstacles I am likely to hit between the airing cupboard and the under the stairs location I am trying to reach. I have attached photos below showing the route I intend to take with the half height rack located at the small end of the understairs cupboard.

Main questions:

1) Do I have tongue and groove chipboard flooring (see last picture)? If so, am I best to just cut along the join where possible and any tips for determining the best place to cut the width? I am concerned about affecting the stability of the floor. I am planning on using a circular saw to make the cut.

2) On the opposite side of the airing cupboard wall, there are 5 pipes going down into the floor. I suspect that these don't come out on the side of the wall I need to cut as all main plumbing points are located the other side but I don't know for sure and would treat with suspicion - additionally there could be heating pipes. On the stairs side, there is a consumer unit located on the back wall and I'd guess similarly that there could be electrics running in the area I intend to cut. Any tips for how I approach this situation to minimise the risk of damage? Should I use some other tool instead of a circular saw?

3) Under the flooring, is it likely that I will have free and open access to the under the stairs area or will there be some kind of fascia board? If there is a board, can I drill it without issues?

Thanks in advance! :)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 147
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    368.3 KB · Views: 244
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 170
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 127
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 104
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 154
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 105
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    458.8 KB · Views: 110
It has since occurred to me that I am probably looking at this in too complex a light. I have a wall that runs straight from the loft to the ground. I believe it is metal stud both ground and 1st floor. I know the joists are running across the house in the same direction as the wall so I assume the metal stud wall on the 1st floor sits atop the last joist in the run.

I am now thinking I could drop the cables down the internal wall and then bring them out in the void under the stairs. I would assume that there is nothing of concern at the very bottom and back of the stairs and therefore shouldn't hit any cabling issues there.

Not sure how I'll get 40 ish cables past the joist between the two floors though. Time to start cutting I guess and see what is there!

Attachments

• PXL_20210213_203339475.jpg
    PXL_20210213_203339475.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 107

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom