40"-50" replacement for Panasonic TH-42PZ82B

Timmy51m

Hi, I've been using it for a pc monitor for over a year now and it's got fairly nasty image retention from youtube windows, tabs and bars, plus web address bar, taskbar etc, I spend a lot of time on youtube. Started to become quite distracting when watching films, playing games etc, so I think I'm going to have to change it unless anyone knows of a way to reverse the problem.

I guess I'm looking at something like neo qled or oled, 42" to 50" screen maximum size for the space it's situated in, with center mount stand, wide apart feet are not an option, the price of either doesn't really bother me but I don't want to overspend, I'm not super fussy. I see people are using LG oled for monitors but based on my plasma experience I'm a bit worried I will suffer the same problems again.

Any input or advice would be most appreciated, open to other suggestions etc.

Thanks.

Dodgexander

If you don't need good viewing angles the Sony 50X90J is really the only suitor although like smaller LCD TVs it has shortfalls compared to larger TVs, namely poorer HDR.

OLED, well not so sure with your usage. I don't think it's a good idea using one as a computer monitor, but it will probably be fine for occasional use as as second monitor.

Neo QLED is just marketing for LCD TVs. Higher end Samsung models sold less than 55" are not the same TVs as 55" and up.

Timmy51m

If you don't need good viewing angles the Sony 50X90J is really the only suitor although like smaller LCD TVs it has shortfalls compared to larger TVs, namely poorer HDR.

OLED, well not so sure with your usage. I don't think it's a good idea using one as a computer monitor, but it will probably be fine for occasional use as as second monitor.

Neo QLED is just marketing for LCD TVs. Higher end Samsung models sold less than 55" are not the same TVs as 55" and up.
I'll rule out OLED then. I sit directly in front of it about 6ft away so should be fine for angle. The Sony range is better than Neo Qled at 43 or 50, or just better value maybe? I have a bit of an issue with my TV stand and the feet on Sony, they're quite wide apart.

Thanks.

Dodgexander

The neo QLED LCD TVs from Samsung are not the same TVs at smaller sizes than larger. So, it's hard to recommend them.
The Sony X90J pretty much catches up with the 50" Samsung QN90A or QN94A and is cheaper. If you are happy paying more for the Samsung models and not pay into better picture quality, plus buy a TV that has poor specifications at smaller sizes than larger than it's up to you. Stand wise you can fit your own VESA stand to any TV using the wall-mounting holes at the back of a TV.

There's an X92J model with a central stand but there doesn't seem to be any present availability in the UK.

Viewing angles can be a problem up close too, the edges of the screen can become more washed out. 6ft head on should be okay though.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom