Question 40" 4k TV looks great for games. Have a question before I go larger.

MartinTweak

Standard Member
Reaction score
Short version:

Does anyone notice less texture detail in PC games on a 55" 4k TV compared to a 40" 4k TV?

Long version:

I know that may sound like I'm trying to start an argument. But I really want to go bigger with a 55" TV but the pixel density is what I'm worried about. Right now I have a sweet 111 ppi on my Samsung 40" 4k and games like Witcher 3, Deus EX MD and X Rebirth look wonderful.

And I've read posts that swear on a stack of bibles that games on 55"-65" 4k TVs do not lose any IQ at all compared to 32"-40" because of various factors like making sure your viewing distance is appropriate from the larger models.

It's not a matter of money. I probably should just try a Qled and a Oled both at 55" so i can see for myself. I realize an excellent monitor will have a better picture than a TV for PC games and I hope that opinion doesn't rankle too many. But I didn't buy the Phillips, Dell or other 4k 40" monitor because of IQ issues I read about of the particular models.

------------------------------------------
AMD Ryzen 7 1700 3.0ghz || Titan XP || Win 10 Home || MSI B350M
DDR4 16gb || 2TB HD || Onboard Sound || Thermaltake 600W psu
40” Samsung 4k Lcd/Led TV 3840 x 2160 || CyberPowerPC Case

Texture detail doesnt change regardless of TV size, its resolution that matter. Bottomline is, its going to look better on bigger screen. As it show off the high definition detail more clearly.

i have a 27inch monitor, and just replaced 40 inch samsung with 55 inch TV, it defintly looks better on 55inch

I'm a console gamer and regularly switch between a 23 inch monitor and a 55 inch oled for gaming (the same games as I used a PS4 on both) I don't notice any difference in picture quality and I prefer the oled as the colour and blacks are better. I've also put the ps4 through my projector onto a 90 inch screen and again there was no drop in picture quality although 90 inch is a bit too big for gaming especially with fps games. Funnily enough Witcher 3 was one of the games I tried on my projector, it looked great.

Texture detail doesnt change regardless of TV size, its resolution that matter. Bottomline is, its going to look better on bigger screen. As it show off the high definition detail more clearly.

But unlike monitors, TVs only come in one resolution. You can't buy a 65" TV that maintains the same DPI as a 55" one.

We have gotten to the point where everything has all the pixels it needs for most uses, so it's only noticeable at short enough viewing distances.

It's not a matter of money. I probably should just try a Qled and a Oled both at 55" so i can see for myself.

QLED is a marketing name for Samsung's top LCD model range (and other brands outside the UK), not an entirely new technology like OLED.

This year it's been Sony producing the best quality LCD models rather than Samsung. A Sony ZD9 is considered a better TV than any of the Samsung QLED range.

I occasionally move the xbox one s between rooms/tvs.
Normally on a 46" 1080p samsung which looks really good.
Sometimes on a sony 55" 4k and it looks loads better.

But unlike monitors, TVs only come in one resolution. You can't buy a 65" TV that maintains the same DPI as a 55" one.

We have gotten to the point where everything has all the pixels it needs for most uses, so it's only noticeable at short enough viewing distances.

i am not sure why you think a 55/65inch TV would look worst, DPI doesnt matter especially if you are for 4K(else 4K game would look best on a mobile), unless you are using it as monitor and pressing you face right into the TV. a bigger screen is needed to make finer detail more noticeable, which into make the picture looks better.

Its relative to viewing distance and also viewing conditions, its really hard to view close enough even to a 65" model to see individual pixels so I wouldn't worry personally. You could always view a little further away.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom