40 - 43 Inches

DanSobel

Novice Member
Reaction score
Looking at a new TV ... held off until now. What would be better out of these ...

Buy Panasonic Viera 40DX700B LED HDR 4K Ultra HD Smart TV, 40" With Freeview Play, Built-In Wi-Fi & Art Of Interior Design | John Lewis

Buy Samsung UE43KS7500 Curved SUHD HDR 1,000 4K Ultra HD Quantum Dot Smart TV, 43” with Freeview HD/Freesat HD, Playstation Now & Branch Feet Design | John Lewis

Mainly used for Sky Q and Netflix tbh.

Or are these overkill ... was hoping to semi future proof against needing a new TV in 2 years time. I have missed any glaringly obvious choices in that price range.

Or are these overkill ... was hoping to semi future proof against needing a new TV in 2 years time. I have missed any glaringly obvious choices in that price range.

Stuff in two years time is going to have substantially better HDR support whatever you go for now.

A lot of the 2017 TVs are being announced at CES this week, so if money is no object then it's well worth waiting a few days to see if anything looks like it'll be substantially better.

Right. Ill wait the week out.

Be good to get something that looks nice in terms of both frame and Picture. Money is obviously a degree of concern. 40 - 43 inches. Silver Preferable. Thin frame.

As endless already said there's not really a way to future proof, you're better spending less and more often.

As for your use the Samsung KS really stands out as the best TV at that size but you are mainly paying extra for HDR which you won't use by the sounds of your sources.

Probably the Sony XD80 or Panasonic DX-700 would be better value for you.

At 43" though be sure to sit close to benefit from UHD. Really close.

Hmmmmm ... So, if I wont see any major benefit AND in fact UHD worsens a SD Picture. Im kinda stuck between a rock and a hardPlace. Any suggestions for non UHD TVs that are decent.

As endless already said there's not really a way to future proof, you're better spending less and more often.

As for your use the Samsung KS really stands out as the best TV at that size but you are mainly paying extra for HDR which you won't use by the sounds of your sources.

Probably the Sony XD80 or Panasonic DX-700 would be better value for you.

At 43" though be sure to sit close to benefit from UHD. Really close.

Hi Dodge and others,

First post here and have read many other threads here so thanks for the advice given.

Im also looking for a 40-43. I have a slightly different requirement though as I intend using the TV mainly for showing photographs, which are a mix of standard quality images, mostly in the 1-8 MP range. Though there will be a little TV and DVD viewing also, but not too bothered on the quality for that.

I would like to show off the existing photos as best I can. From other threads here and elsewhere Im guessing the 4K & HDR in the 40" can show some improvement in my pictures (over non-HDR), and at times I should be sitting close enough to be able to see it.

My budget is ideally below €700 (£600) which led me to the Panasonic TX-40DX700B. I cant see this in store where I am, the closest I got to see was the TX-40DX600B, which seemed a little pale and lacking in contrast when I fed it my pictures on USB.

Has anyone an opinion on comparing the Panasonic TX-40DX700B or 600B with the Samsung UE40KU6400 (or others?) for the purpose of still image picture quality? Is 4k/HDR worth it for viewing images? Thanks

HDR on tv's isn't the same as HDR in photography. For still photos you'll get best results calibrating the tv professionally or buying a tv with good out of the box accuracy like the Philips 6501. Shame about the Phillips is it uses an inferior contrast panel though.

Tv's like the Sony XD80, Panasonic DX-700/600 and the Samsung KU6xxx series do decently out of the box but to get most from them you'll need professional calibration. Although not as good, you can compensate this a little by using settings someone else used after calibration themselves but be aware there are differences to be found between two of the same tv's and also how they perform in your environment.

HDR on tv's isn't the same as HDR in photography. For still photos you'll get best results calibrating the tv professionally or buying a tv with good out of the box accuracy like the Philips 6501. Shame about the Phillips is it uses an inferior contrast panel though.

Tv's like the Sony XD80, Panasonic DX-700/600 and the Samsung KU6xxx series do decently out of the box but to get most from them you'll need professional calibration. Although not as good, you can compensate this a little by using settings someone else used after calibration themselves but be aware there are differences to be found between two of the same tv's and also how they perform in your environment.

Thanks Dodge, the XD80 Sony is €250 more than the DX700B in Ireland but the Panasonic is within budget under €700.

When you look at the XD80xx be sure to check different variations in the last two digits on the Sony website. Sometimes one can be found cheaper than the other.

I know at 40" both Pamasonics have VA type panels but that 700 has a wide colour gamut whist the 600 doesn't. Not sure want if they have other differences.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom