40-43 inch TV for mostly HD. Sitting facing screen

Pat Marcus

Established Member
Reaction score
Dear Experts

My 60 series Panasonic lcd has finally died and I need a replacement in the 40-43 inch range (the space wont accommodate larger than 43). Im happy to consider all brands and have a budget of £1000.
The sofa is directly facing the screen and there is almost no off axis viewing.
The content consumed is likely to be mostly HD and some SD TV. A small amount of HD content via HDD. TV is fed by a virgin box (tivo) which will eventually get upgraded to the UHD offering.
Inevitably this chosen tv will offer 4K and HDR but these are not its most important features.
There seems a surprising lack of reviews of 17MY TVs in this size bracket, so far.
I know the Panasonic EX700 has had one. So, Im considering this, the new LG 750 (though I think this has an IPS panel so it may get rejected), the samsung MU6400 and the more expensive Sony XE8000 series. Im sure I read a review somewhere that the soon-to-be-discontinued Sony XD8000 range actually has better PQ. Seems odd.
What would you get ?

Thanks

Last edited:
No one has a view ?

Just bought the 40EX700 and very pleased with it. It has replaced a 2013 Panasonic which has an IPS Panel, whilst the new one is a VA (I believe).

Dear Experts

My 60 series Panasonic lcd has finally died and I need a replacement in the 40-43 inch range (the space wont accommodate larger than 43). Im happy to consider all brands and have a budget of £1000.
The sofa is directly facing the screen and there is almost no off axis viewing.
The content consumed is likely to be mostly HD and some SD TV. A small amount of HD content via HDD. TV is fed by a virgin box (tivo) which will eventually get upgraded to the UHD offering.
Inevitably this chosen tv will offer 4K and HDR but these are not its most important features.
There seems a surprising lack of reviews of 17MY TVs in this size bracket, so far.
I know the Panasonic EX700 has had one. So, Im considering this, the new LG 750 (though I think this has an IPS panel so it may get rejected), the samsung MU6400 and the more expensive Sony XE8000 series. Im sure I read a review somewhere that the soon-to-be-discontinued Sony XD8000 range actually has better PQ. Seems odd.
What would you get ?

Thanks
FHD models
Sony WE663 40" (VA)
Sony WE753 43" (IPS, but very good)
(4K pointless from a picture quality perspective at these sizes unless you're bothered about future proofing)

UHD models
Panasonic EX700 40" (VA, some motion issues, very deep black levels and excellent audio and picture quality)
Sony's forthcoming XE7002 series I'm assuming is IPS, but still very good for the price.
You could also look into Philips (IPS) if you would like to add Ambilight (which now works with Hue bulbs). It's a love it or hate it thing, but I've yet to meet anyone who hasn't loved it in the flesh. Philips TVs are great value, and usually well priced at Argos.

I wouldn't recommend anything by LG (many issues, including "fake 4K", uniformity, reliability) and be wary of uniformity/reliability/viewing angle/motion issues etc on Samsung.

Don't be put off by limited HDMI ports on any model - there are several self-powering Auto Switching HDMI Switches now available on the market.

Thanks Loopthrough. No mention of Samsung here. I thought maybe the MU6400 might get a vote ?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom