40-42" TV's - Panasonic X20 vs Sony EX401 vs LG LD450

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Basically I've been looking at getting a new TV to replace an old 32" Philips CRT that we have at present which feels like it's on it's last legs and could well just die in the next while.

I've got around £80 worth of Amazon vouchers to spend and have been looking at these three sets

Sony Bravia KDL40EX401U 40-inch Widescreen Full HD: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

LG 42LD450 42-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p LCD TV: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Panasonic TX-P42X20B 42-inch Widescreen HD Ready 100Hz: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

I'd not been able to find much on the LG so had pretty much discounted it at present, but if anyone out there owns one or knows anything about them opinions would be greatly appreciated.

We've a Panasonic PZ80 at present as well and I've been delighted with how it has performed since we got it a few years ago so I wouldn't mind another Panny plasma.

I was almost all set on the X20 until I came across the Sony EX401 on Amazon which I see has now fallen within our budget for a second TV, but I've been unable to find much out about the set, only reviews I can find are for the EX403 which I assume is similar picture-wise bar it uses the Bravia Engine 3 as opposed to the BE2.

The TV will mostly be used for gaming on and watching SD Freeview, along with some Blu-ray films from time to time. There is quite a high level of ambient light in the room it is going in to (see the attached image of the Philips that's there at the minute too give an indication of how much light is hitting the screen) so that has been nudging me towards an LCD over a plasma as I'm not sure how good the AR filter is on the X20.

If anyone has any advice then can share it'd be greatly appreciated :) Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!!!

Attachments

• 4779184907_caac09d535_b.jpg
    4779184907_caac09d535_b.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 398
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I think the sony is freeview sd only , If you can afford the sony 403 its got a freview hd tuner and this will be usefull very soon , some areas already have freeview hd.

This thread can now be closed, went with the X20 in the end.

I'd be keen to hear what you think of it. It is one I am considering to replace my 36" CRT...although I am dithering because my CRT still gives such a great picture and I have yet to personally see any flat panel that can match it.

Hi mate i would recommend you have a look at the new samsung 40C580 which is the replacement for the what hifi 5 star winner 40B550. I have just bought one and find it excellent and also includes freeview HD, i also use it for gaming MW2 ect and with the game mode enabled i do not notice any input lag hope this helps regards Anthony

Hi sorry just noticed you have bought a tv regards Anthony

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom