40-42 tv

scream_zone

I have a budget of £800 as I can't justify spending anymore on a TV when there is always better just around the corner.

I have looked at the following:

Samsung UE40F6800
Panasonic Viera TX-L42ET61B

I haven't opted for a Plasma this time as I have suffered with failed panels in my previous Panasonics and to be honest, I haven't had a decent plasma since my Kuro many moons ago. I know times have changed and so has my budget.

I can't seem to find any reviews apart from one for the ET60B whatever the difference is between it and the ET61B I listed above.

Can anyone offer any suggestions, words of wisdom for the above or maybe an alternative?

vickster

Distinguished Member
I am guess one of the bigger retailers is selling the ET61 to avoid price matching, I doubt there is much difference if any - maybe minor aesthetic change

Should be feedback for both models if you use the search box :)

scream_zone

Thanks for that.

It appears the ET61 is really only sold at JL and from what I gather the only difference between it and the ET60 is it has same stand as the newer range of panasonics and comes with 2 free 3d glasses.

It costs £30 more than the ET60.

The Panasonic website doesn't list the ET61 so I guess its a modded version for the likes of JL and like you said, to avoid price matching. I can't find any reviews on it either but the ET60 has plenty.

vickster

Distinguished Member
£30 more for a JL 5 year warranty sounds like a good deal (Richer sounds charge 10% and Currys about 25% or more)

vickster

Distinguished Member
No idea, sorry, probably very little. TVs have 2.1 sound, 2 speakers

scream_zone

Both Panasonic models listed are 3D.

ET60 -> £749
ET61 -> £780 (comes with 2x3D glasses).

The Samsung and Panasonics are cheaper than the Philips you listed and I wouldn't rate a philips in the same league as them.

Last edited:

vickster

Distinguished Member
The E6 is the 2D, any Panasonic model with a T is 3D

Will73

Standard Member
Ah yes you are correct. I did think you meant the E6.

Does the ET use an IPS panel then? as iirc the E6 is a VA panel, hence the poor motion and viewing angles.

Interesting that you don't put Philips in the same league as Samsung!
The power of advertising....

D

Deleted member 39001

I'm glad I found this thread as I am in EXACTLY the same conundrum as the OP. I am looking for a new TV for my viewing and console gaming. I have a Panasonic TX-32LXD70 and am looking at the mid range Panasonic 42" 3D to replace it. The LXD70 will be relegated to another room as it's a fantastic set.

I have read the reveiws am too struggling to see the difference between the 60 and the 61 models bar the stand? But also I would MUCH rather buy a set from John Lewis.

I also prefer the Panasonic picture to others but I am yet to see the 42" 3D model being talked about, I did see the Panny 42" non 3D one the other and loved it's picture.

If anyone knows the difference between the TX-L42ET60B and the TX-L42ET61B please share because as stated I can only see the stand, also looking at the TXL55ET61B model on the JL website, if you google that it is ONLY available from JL and again seems to be their version of the TXL55ET60B.

Shame as they are selling the TX-L42ET61B for £699 but the 60B varient is £30 or £40 less if you google.

vickster

Distinguished Member
JL special - won't be able to price match - I would say the 5 year warranty and proper customer service are worth £40!

D

Deleted member 39001

JL special - won't be able to price match - I would say the 5 year warranty and proper customer service are worth £40!

Yeah that's my thinking, actually the 60 version is still £699 on Amazon so it's not a bad price from JL. And as you said you get proper no quibble customer service.

scream_zone

Well I picked up the 61b and it appears now its £80 less than what I paid for it so for £700 it's a bargain. The different stand on the 61b makes the tv stand higher to allow for a soundbar to fit better as the 60 model can have fitting problems with some soundbars.

I am still waiting for picture settings to be released on here but hopefully that's very soon. I still have issues with audio out of sync when watching video from my microserver via HDMI which I am working on.

I found a thread yesterday but not sure if it was on here or another forum dedicated to the 60/61b models which has some great input. It contains answers to do with the differences between the two models which may include better settings on the 61b.

D

Deleted member 39001

Well I picked up the 61b and it appears now its £80 less than what I paid for it so for £700 it's a bargain. The different stand on the 61b makes the tv stand higher to allow for a soundbar to fit better as the 60 model can have fitting problems with some soundbars.

I am still waiting for picture settings to be released on here but hopefully that's very soon. I still have issues with audio out of sync when watching video from my microserver via HDMI which I am working on.

I found a thread yesterday but not sure if it was on here or another forum dedicated to the 60/61b models which has some great input. It contains answers to do with the differences between the two models which may include better settings on the 61b.

Thanks mate :thumbsup: you will have to let us know how you find the set. I will just be putting mine on a mounting arm so stand height etc doesn't matter. I want the set as although I won't use 3D much, it's nice to have it when you do want to us it.

If your able to remember where you saw that thread too that would be great.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom