40"-42" TV Advice.

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Mervin321, Jan 10, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Mervin321

Mervin321

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We've currently got a 28 inch old TV (not even widescreen) and only BBC1, 2, ITV and Channel4. We cant get freeview or channel 5 where we live!

So we're thinking of finally getting with the times and upgrading and I've been lurking on here for a few weeks trying to get my head round everything but theres just too many things to consider! I'd appreciate a bit of advice if only to point us in one direction!

We're looking to get Sky+ but probably not HD. We arent going to watch a lot of movies, but will watch a lot of football. We would like a home cinema / set of speakers but dont wish to pay very much for this.

I've got no idea which models, makes, whether to have all components same make, LCD v Plasma, HD i or p etc, whats good and whats not

Have heard John Lewis do pricematch and currys discounted sky+box.

Our budget is about £1000(ish).

We want:
    - 40/42 TV plasma/lcd?
    - surround sound inc DVD?
    - Sky+

Sorry for the vagueness but theres a lot of information to take in. Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Merv

2. brain_stew

brain_stew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    For that budget I'd go with a 42PX70 Panasonic plasma. Given your usage its the obvious choice, LCD still doesn't cope with SD as well as a decent plasma.

3. Mervin321

Mervin321

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. How about the TV mentioned with Panasonic SC-PT450EWB-K Power THeatre?

I read somewhere tht Plasmas can fade over time. Is that true?

Thanks again for your help.

4. Mervin321

Mervin321

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We've decided 42" may be a bit too big now.

Would anyone recommend a 40" set and surround sound system for £1000 please?

5. KUBBY

KUBBY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +664
    Hi,

For your budget take a look at Samsung le40m87 lcd and the Pioneer DSC 363surround system.

The former is a 40" full HD (1920 x 1080 )screen with good bright colours and dark blacks.It has 3 HDMI connections and a nice shiny piano black casing.

The pioneer is an award winner among the magazine testers who cant believe that its so good for the price.

Try the Home Cinema Choice site for reviews of both.

There are a long standing and sometimes quite nasty arguements between the Plasma and Lcd camps,both for various and sometimes justifiable reasons claim their system to be better.

Both have pros and cons,both last for 20 ish years with average use and both have good and bad individual sets.

As a very,rough rule of thumb,If you want a 40" or below set,then buy Lcd.Anything over that buy Plasma.But that is a very rough guide.View both and see what you think.

KH