• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

40"-42" HD 1080p - Best for Games/DVD?

JakeF

Standard Member
Hi,

Looking for a 40/42" HD 1080p (LCD or Plasma, not sure which is the better yet!?)

Best quality for PS3 gaming, DVDs etc. Going to connect it upto my surround sound.

£1500 max

Can you point me in the direction of some models / recommendations / best buys etc,

Thanks for your help!

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
Its the Sony KDL-40X3000/500 which is top lcd or the Samsung LE-40A656.Also with your budget you can afford the new Sony KDL-52W4000 model.What about it?

YellowSphere

Prominent Member
Pioneer's 42" does not have a 1080p panel, but is easily the best performing set at this size for standard definition DVD. It's also very highly regarded as a game panel.

That aside, the X3000/3500 is a good set.

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
Seems like W4000 beats X3 series exept the motion which is a bit better on the X but still not bad

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
I would get the W4000 and of course at 52" or at least 46" as you afford it with the budget

JakeF

Standard Member
just to let you guys know after your advice and some research I decided to buy the SONY KDL 40W4000 (40").

It is truly amazing! Got the latest technology and all that.

Works brilliantly with PS3 and 1080p resolutions.

Any Q's about the 40W4000 just ask....

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
No questions but we would love some pics if you can!If yes show them at the W4000 owners thread

Doonhamer

Standard Member
just to let you guys know after your advice and some research I decided to buy the SONY KDL 40W4000 (40").

It is truly amazing! Got the latest technology and all that.

Works brilliantly with PS3 and 1080p resolutions.

Any Q's about the 40W4000 just ask....

What's it like on SD?
DVD playback?
Football (motion blur)?
How far do you sit from it? (I can't decide if I need a 40" or 42")
Can you configure each input individually?
Wall or stand?

JakeF

Standard Member
What's it like on SD?
It is very good, I can only compare it to what Ive seen in shops etc.
The TV has a bunch of modes you can use to help improve SD quality. Theres "picture Mode": Vivid/Standard/Cinema options which changes brightness/contrast. The middle setting works perfect.
Then theres "Noise Reduction" > High/Med/Low
and "MPEG Noise Reduction" > High/Med/Low
SD with these all on High I would say is excellent. Obviously if u sit about 1m away from the tv its not that great. But im sitting about 2m and find it goo.

DVD playback?
Yeah see above

Football (motion blur)?
Watched the final in moscow. I didnt spot the motion blur (is that when the football looks odd??), im not a sports expert tho! The grass looked very grainy tho, almost glossy.

How far do you sit from it? (I can't decide if I need a 40" or 42")
I thought 42" would defo be better than 40". But the 40" is easily big enough. Sitting about 2m away. Although with High def, bluray etc i sit even closer.
esp, for when using the PS3!!

Can you configure each input individually?
If u mean adjusting picture settings for each input, then I believe yes. I have SD settings different to my PS3 and the tv seems to save them.

Wall or stand?
Ive got it on a stand on a table.

Also got surround sound linked up via optical

JakeF

Standard Member
and its got a picture/photo frame mode so you can turn it into a giant work of art or show off your best photos etc (with an external usb port, using any usb memory stick/storage thingy), even in a slideshow mode. Check it out if you have a look at one in store.

Basically watching a bluray 1080p HD film on this screen with full surround sound is the dogs ********.

even so is playing gtaIV multiplayer :devil:

BOATMAN

Banned
Sorry to hijack your thread Jake but im looking for the same thing you are, only i dont have the budget you do. I was looking at the KDL40W4000U since you and many others seem to have nothing but good things to say about it, but then i was not sure how the Samsung LE40A656 would weigh up against it! Or maybe i could even go for the older LE40A558 and save some £.

Im going to be using this mostly for playing PS3/BluRay and as a second PC monitor, dont watch that much tv but when i do its usually sports or films. Could you guys help me out making a decision?

-Ad-

Prominent Member
Could you guys help me out making a decision?

Go look at the sets yourself, don't ask other poeple to spend your money. Something they love might not be for you.

Would you buy a car on someones recommendation off the internet ?

BOATMAN

Banned
Would you buy a car on someones recommendation off the internet ?

So the thousands of review sites all over the web are for what? The purpose of the very site your posting on is what? I and many others DO buy things from recommendations off the internet.

Go look at the sets yourself, don't ask other poeple to spend your money. Something they love might not be for you.

Im asking for somebody with a bit more knowledge on the subject to look at the facts and give me their opinion, this is a discussion forum but your obviously so far up your own arse to notice that.

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
yeah but even lower at the 1k mark

-Ad-

Prominent Member
So the thousands of review sites all over the web are for what? The purpose of the very site your posting on is what? I and many others DO buy things from recommendations off the internet.

Im asking for somebody with a bit more knowledge on the subject to look at the facts and give me their opinion, this is a discussion forum Removed by Mod.

DON'T resort to personal insults !

I'm trying to give a bit of advice here in that most importantly you should go and view the sets you are considering yourself, as there seems to be enough people that:

1. Post asking what tv to buy.
2. posters reply saying they have 'READ' that W4000 etc is amazing, and reviews say so.
3. OP comes back saying they have ordered set on said advice.

4. Happy owner, or owner asking why set looks soo bad thread posted.

Obviously you want help and advice from others which is fair enough, but with an attitude like that I'm certainly not going to help you out, so have fun :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom