40" - 42" for around £400

boon147

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening all,

Hope you are all well.

I have recently bagged myself a Digital Stream HD PVR, and if you're in 2 minds about the DHR8203U,...just get it, its bang on!!

Anyway, I currently have a 37" Technika LCD Full HD TV which is now about 4 years old, and although it has never let me down (touch wood) i now need more HDMI sockets, and other features that the latest TV's offer. The plan is to replace this, and have the Technika relocated into the bedroom.

So, what im after (and apologies if this is a tall order):

• My current surround sound system only has one optical 'in' socket, so a TV that has an optical out which outputs true 5.1 surround is a must, because i wont have to mess about with switches.
  • Secondly, at least 3 HDMI sockets required (ideally 4)
The next things are 'likes' but not essentials:
  • Freeview HD Tuner
  • Ethernet connection to enable DLNA, and possibly internet TV (LoveFILM etc)
  • USB Port for media playback
Im not after a top notch set, and i think that any current TV will be an upgrade to my current one considering its 4 years old, however i would like the best for my money.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Many Thanks,

Paul

Hi Paul,

Not sure if TV's at the price range will have optical out. Some should have 3 HDMI's. I would look at Panasonic, Samsung & LG. These are the biggest sellers & all will probably have the same features.

Sony currently have a £100 Cashback deal on some of their 40" TVs.

£346 at Amazon buys the Sony KDL40CX523, which has plenty of good reviews, including this one.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I would maybe have a look at this:- Panasonic TX-P42U30B 42-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p 600Hz Plasma TV with Freeview HD @ £479 a little over budget but may be able to source cheaper online??

Sure it has optical out..

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom