4 x Sealed Dayton Audio Ultimax UM18-22 18" (Build Thread)

What feet will you be using Mem??

Well, tbh they are nothing special, I purchased them from parts express. They are the ones recommended for these cabinets. The important thing is I did the threaded inserts so realistically I can can add any feet to them I want I guess but what I bought will be absolutely fine and do the job :)

20191025_103004.jpg

Morning all :) I started the painting process yesterday afternoon. I am doing 3 undercoats (primer) and possible 4-5 matt black top coats depending on how they look after a couple of coats.

Attachments

• 46.jpg
    46.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 496
  • 47.jpg
    47.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 442
  • 48.jpg
    48.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 514
Morning all :) I started the painting process yesterday afternoon. I am doing 3 undercoats (primer) and possible 4-5 matt black top coats depending on how they look after a couple of coats.

Looking great.

My two look appalling but then again they're completely hidden behind the screen and the velor surround so I'm pretty contented they look a bit naff.

G

Looking great.

My two look appalling but then again they're completely hidden behind the screen and the velor surround so I'm pretty contented they look a bit naff.

G
Cheers dude :).. Well as long as they do the job for you ..that's all that really counts ;)

This is where I'm currently at ;) Paint finished and I've just installed the heavy duty rubber feet. So far I'm very pleased with the results. Just waiting for the polyester wadding and fiber filling to arrive so I can move onto finishing the inside :lesson:

20191112_184843.jpgIMG_20191112_185914_581.jpgIMG_20191112_185914_585.jpgIMG_20191112_185914_580.jpgIMG_20191112_185914_582.jpgIMG_20191112_185914_591.jpg

Look superb and would of been even better if you’d made 6 and sold me 2 for my set up!! :rotfl:

Look superb and would of been even better if you’d made 6 and sold me 2 for my set up!! :rotfl:
Thank you , please consider the Mini Marty I have for sale it is truly an amazing sub and will match or probably better 2 x sealed. Let me know if your interested, I am now selling with the driver if your interested :)

Thank you , please consider the Mini Marty I have for sale it is truly an amazing sub and will match or probably better 2 x sealed. Let me know if your interested, I am now selling with the driver if your interested :)

I did have a look at it mate and it looks superbly finished and an absolute monster of a sub but it’s just too big to fit in my proposed new set up I’m afraid.

Two of these look like they’d be perfect but unfortunately my skills aren’t even close to yours when it comes to woodwork / spraying etc so I’ll probably have to stick to something off the shelf or wait for you to get bored and buy two of these off you:rotfl:

I did have a look at it mate and it looks superbly finished and an absolute monster of a sub but it’s just too big to fit in my proposed new set up I’m afraid.

Two of these look like they’d be perfect but unfortunately my skills aren’t even close to yours when it comes to woodwork / spraying etc so I’ll probably have to stick to something off the shelf or wait for you to get bored and buy two of these off you:rotfl:

You will be waiting for ever mate because trust me they won't be going anywhere 😂😂😂

Guys I need some help with regards to cabling within inside the subwoofer and from the inuke to the subwoofers..

Is there anything I need to pay attention to? I was looking at using vandamme blue series studio grade 2 x 2.5mm but not sure if these are good for inside cabling of subwoofer and also any good for long runs as I will need 2 x 8m cables and 2 x 5m cables from the inukes to the subs. I would really appreciate if you could please advise me which cables I should buy. Thank you all 👍

I would've took the mini marty cabinet off you if you had been selling a pair of them.

I would've took the mini marty cabinet off you if you had been selling a pair of them.
Why don't you start off with one and I may build you another one in the future or you may find one is plenty of bass for you? It truly is fantastic,please consider it. :smashin:

Because i already own a pair of sealed lms 18" ultras which are fine in my room i d literally be buying it and putting it straight into storage so i can't see the point of it.

Because i already own a pair of sealed lms 18" ultras which are fine in my room i d literally be buying it and putting it straight into storage so i can't see the point of it.
Keep the sealed up front and put the Marty at the back?

Thanks Rich, is that what you used? If so which version? 2 x 2.5mm or 2 x 4mm?

Most of mine is non descript 2x4 but it's running maybe 12m in length plus theres multiple runs. IIRC the VD 2x4 wasn't too cheap and also quite a thick cable with the double insulation

A short run inside the cab can use practically anything and be fine

For 8m on a 4ohm load then I would go with 4mm2 but you don't have a really high power need so 2.5mm2 is fine also. Having said that If
the run is one you don't want to disturb later (i.e. annoying to route wires) then go big.

Sample insertion loss Vs impedance chart here Speaker Cable Gauge (AWG) Guidelines & Recommendations

Any no name wire is fine btw as long as it is actually copper, 30m of 4mm2 was about £45 the other day I think, though of course you can literally spend as much as you like if you prefer to

Any no name wire is fine btw as long as it is actually copper, 30m of 4mm2 was about £45 the other day I think, though of course you can literally spend as much as you like if you prefer to
Thank you Matt, do you remember which brand and where from? Thank you

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01G1KA6HY/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_i_49hZDbQVW0XFN or https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LFAEBU8/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_i_n.hZDbSCRC6QF

Fwiw I am 100% "it is a wire that makes an electrical connection". I won't judge anyone who thinks differently though :beer:
Matt thank you so much for the links. Would you say these are better than the vandamme cables? I mean the price is extremely good for these cables... Do you have any experience with any of these brands if so which one do you use? Thanks Matt

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Keep the sealed up front and put the Marty at the back?
I live in a flat, the room measures 4x3m and have no space at the rear of me, my sofa is up against the wall. My subs are positioned at the front in each corner.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I agree. Having spent years of wandering the same I now just use 4mm white flex for all my speakers and subs.
The only thing I'm thinking is they are not shielded. Wouldn't this be an issue? I mean the vandamme ones cost more but is that because they're have some kind of shielding?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom