4 x Sealed Dayton Audio Ultimax UM18-22 18" (Build Thread)

mkohman

Hey Guys,

Thought it would be fun to create a build thread for my new crazy build which will consist of 4 x Dayton Ultimax 18" in sealed enclosures. The dimensions of each enclosure is 560mm (height) x 560mm (wide) x 548mm (deep), technically a traditional cubic style sub which is just over 4cu feet (could be slightly larger), which is the recommended sealed enclosure size for this driver.

I have been extremely happy with my Mini Marty for the past (almost) 2 years, however as you guys know you can never have enough bass so I have been on the hunt for something new and also I needed something to build anyway so this was an excuse in a way too :rotfl:

Now as per my previous thread I was in two minds whether to go for 2 x larger ported 21" B&C subwoofer design or 4 x smaller sealed Dayton Ultimax 18" subwoofer design. In the end I decided to go ahead with 4 slightly smaller sealed subwoofers which I believe and hope will give me more controlled and consistent bass in my room. My room is 6.5m deep and approx. 4m wide. Initially I will be placing two upfront and two behind my seating area, however things may change and I may re adjust my screen wall to accommodate all four subs to be placed directly under my screen.

I will need to read up on REW and MSO in order to learn how to time align and integrate all four subwoofers into my system. I would really appreciate any tips and tricks along the way.

I will try to update this thread with pictures on a regular basis as and when I start and proceed with the build. Thank you in advance for all your support, help and advice :thumbsup:

wood.jpg

Last edited:

kempez

Watched. Interested in the craziness :D

mkohman

Quick question if any of the DIY guys can assist I would appreciate it. I was thinking of using pocket holes to join the top and bottom panels to the side panels and then all the panels to the bottom base of the sub woofer along with wood glue. Will this be OK? I mean will pocket hole and screws cause any issues? All the pocket holes and screws will all be internal so will be within inside the subwoofer and gorilla wood glue will also be used on every joint. Thank you

Last edited:

johnny78

Quick question if any of the DIY guys can assist I would appreciate it. I was thinking of using pocket holes to join the top and bottom panels to the side panels and then all the panels to the bottom base of the sub woofer along with wood glue. Will this be OK? I mean will pocket hole and screws cause any issues? All the pocket holes and screws will all be internal so will be withing inside the subwoofer and gorilla wood glue will also be used on every joint. Thank you
I was also thinking screws but there's a reason they only use glue. I'd be carefull

mattkhan

Distinguished Member
No harm in using screws, it is just a box after all. Just remember not to try to round off through them! Are you using plywood btw? Pic looks like a pile of MDF.

mkohman

No harm in using screws, it is just a box after all. Just remember not to try to round off through them! Are you using plywood btw? Pic looks like a pile of MDF.
Hi Matt, thank you. As I will be rounding all edges I think better not use any screws. Thank you for the tip :thumbsup:. I have been using gorilla wood glue for all my previous builds and they have been rock solid including my Mini Marty I built couple years back, so I am sure it will be ok. I was intending to use pocket hole joints with glue in order to speed up the build process and minimise the use of clamps etc. but I think I should just play it safe and only use glue and clamps, as I will be rounding the cabinets all over and I would hate for a screw to be exposed in the process. Thanks for the tip!

Yes it is 18mm MDF. I did want to use ply and then MDF on top but as there are 4 x subs, it would not be cost effective and also would be far to heavy so decided to stick with MDF which seems to be the norm with any build these days really including what parts express offer with their flat packs.

Last edited:

markymiles

Distinguished Member
Blimey they came quickly. You're going to be done in no time :smashin:

MattSPL

Looking forward to seeing this build :)

xxGBHxx

FWIW (not much now as you've started building!) the 2 Gordy built 25inch sealed boxes I have were just screwed and not even glued and were as solid as hell. 25mm MDF mind you but they were not going anywhere just screwed.

I don't think you'd have a problem either way but if you're gluing MDF edges a tip I saw recently was to run glue down the edge, smooth it with your finger, leave it 10 mins to go tacky then re-glue and stick. Apparently it's supposed to allow the glue to soak into the edge of the MDF which is particularly porus and give a much stronger bond.

G

Such

Hi Mkohman, I see you've come a long way since buying my mono+! Your crafting skills are very good mate!
I am seriously tempted to build a couple of minimartys for my next house when we move next year.
What are you going to do with yours?

mkohman

Hi Mkohman, I see you've come a long way since buying my mono+! Your crafting skills are very good mate!
I am seriously tempted to build a couple of minimartys for my next house when we move next year.
What are you going to do with yours?
Hi there, good to here from you. Thank you for your kind words. I am looking to sell the cabinet of the mini marty so if your interested please let me know drop me a message. All the best..

mkohman

So today was a very challenging day. I had to get really creative when deciding on how I was going to build the bracing. I decided that I was going to build interlocking bracing for maximum strength and stability. This was actually a much harder task then yesterday when building the double front baffles. It is very time consuming and really had to put my brain to work lol calculating the shape and design of the bracing. I always enjoy doing these things but today was a bit too much:facepalm:

20191029_110619.jpg20191029_110210.jpg20191029_110940.jpg20191029_120734.jpg20191029_133324.jpg20191029_135618.jpg20191029_135848.jpg20191029_140813.jpg20191029_142139.jpg20191029_142324.jpg

markymiles

Distinguished Member
Going well. Don't know about you but when I was doing 4 at once, it all became a bit like a factory line !!!

mkohman

Don't you have a job to go to :p

Looking good!!
I work shift work so not Monday to Friday.. I work long hours followed by 4 days off so that's when I get the time to work on this. I'm actually back to work tomorrow :laugh:.. Also I wanted to finish these parts before we hit hard winter so I'm kinda rushing to the painting stage I can then take my time ;)

Trending threads

Latest news

Samsung applies for Q-Symphony trademark for TVs and soundbars
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Best Hi-Fi Products 2019 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Ed Selley
  • Published
McIntosh releases DA2 Digital Audio Module Upgrade Kit
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky TV offers cheaper Sky Q box with updated features