4 X 4 matrix - help please

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by dannydean1, Jun 9, 2015.

1. dannydean1

dannydean1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, after reading these forums for the past few hours I've realised I know very little about home AV distribution!! I'm currently re-wiring my home and want to distribute HD video and possibly other devices to 4 rooms. I've stumbled across forum posts where people mention the 4 X 4 matrix and I'm just hoping someone can clear up what it actually does. I understand that it's a means of distributing a source, be it Sky, an HTPC, Xbox, etc, to other rooms in the house but I'm unclear how it's set up. Am I right in thinking that each source device connects to the matrix vis Cat 6 cable?? The source is then distributed over Cat 6 cable to each output device?? If I were to connect my router directly to the matrix does this then mean that I can distribute internet to the same devices, i.e smart TV?? One final question sorry, does the 4 X 4 part mean that it's capable of distributing 4 source devices to 4 output devices?? If anybody could point me toward a diagram that shows a setup I'd be grateful, I like diagrams!! :D Thanks in advance to anybody that answers!!

2. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Hi

A 4x4 matrix (HDMi over Cat6) consists of the main matrix which the 4 sources connects to via HDMI cable, then outputs via Cat6 to the 4 Tv locations. Here a receiver converts the Cat6 back to HDMI and then into the TV.

Though there are some matrixes that will allow the Internet/network to be carried over the same Cat6 cable, the standard used is only at 10/100 speed rather than Gigabit so teh common recommendation it to run a 2nd cable for networking Smart TVs.

The matrix allows any combination of any source to any TV.

In addition HDBaseT Matrixes, the only recognised standard for HDMI over single Cat5/6, can also carry power for the receivers and Infrared to control the sources from the TV locations.

The example below shows a matrix that besides the Cat5/6 outputs also has local mirrored HDMI outputs which is quite common.

[​IMG]

Link to our actual matrix

http://store.aclasstechnology.com/p...ivers---4k2k-version-limited-stock-1670-p.asp

Seb

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,575
    There are a few ways to carry HDMI over a single CAT cable and as Seb describes the best solution for Residential projects is 'HDMI over HDBT' using a single CAT6 cable to carry Video, Audio, IR and Power (for the Zone Receiver) to each Zone.

Some versions of HDBT also carry 10/100 Ethernet on the same wire - we tend to avoid those in favour of a second cable to cater for up to Gigabit connectivity.

HDBT is a technology created by Valens and now owned by a bunch of the 'big boys' in the Consumer manufacturing industry.

The Matrix is the Hub of the system and can be deceptively 'simple' looking devices - in practice they have a lot of work to do behind the scene dealing with E-EDID (capabilities) and HDCP (content protection) along with dealing with signal routing and IR routing (from each Zone to the Matrix and selected Source device).

Additionally the Matrix may offer integration with a 'control' system using RS232 and or IP.

'Hidden' features of a decent Matrix such as not blanking when switching Sources being viewed on multiple Zones or fast switching between Sources are features which can enhance the User experience.

The system you describe is 'HD over LAN'* where you can create much larger systems to a budget using a Gigabit Switch as the 'Hub' rather than a dedicated Matrix - the down side being you have to use image compression in the Transmitter box attached to each Source, it's not an issue for Commercial installs (Digital Signage, Sports Bars etc.) but not ideal for home users.

*HD over LAN fails to meet all of the requirements of HDMI.org so they insist on not calling it 'HDMI over LAN'.

Managing what audio capabilities you have in each Zone connected to a Matrix is often the tricky part of the planning process - if all Zones have the same capabilities it is relatively straightforward, though that is usually not the case in Residential systems where you may have one 'Cinema' Zone the rest of the house is 'TV Only' Zones.

Flexibility is something we (Octava Inc) have found many customers want so introduced a CardFrame system - you can have a 4x4 and then add in additional Zones (up to a max of 8).

4x8 HDMI Matrix switch over CAT 6 cable. 3D support. Route 4 HD video sources up to 10 HD displays. Switch 65,356 combinations over HDMI and Cat 6 cables

Any questions fire away.

Joe