4 x 4 Matrix distribution and sound considerations

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by thewillski, Jul 10, 2015.

1. thewillski

thewillski
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi All,

I am currently in the middle of an extension and as part of this there are some major modifications being done to my house so I am also using this as a chance to integrate and hide some more of my AV in a Node 0 setup. I am starting to get my head around this and the implications but have a few questions. The plan will be to use a 4 x 4 HDbaseT matrix running inputs out to 3 screens for now.

Inputs are Sky, Blu Ray and future media server. Outputs will be Living room, kids playroom and study. The last two tv’s are not yet purchased and will be purchased a little further down the line.

I plan on running 3 cat6 cables to each location to ensure connectivity to the matrix, one for internet / smart tv connection and one spare.

In the living room I currently run a 5.1 surround system and am not sure how this will integrate with the matrix. Ideally I would also like the AV amp at node 0 but I have read about issues across zones with audio outputs. I am a bit unclear on this and how to set this up as currently the amp handles all the inputs and the output. Is it just the case that if I incorporate tv’s which can handle a 5.1 input or add soundbars to the two extra tv’s that there is no issue?

Secondly would I also need to run a sub cable from the Node 0 to the sub location in the living room or would this be done a different way?

Thanks in advance
    Hi All,

I am currently in the middle of an extension and as part of this there are some major modifications being done to my house so I am also using this as a chance to integrate and hide some more of my AV in a Node 0 setup. I am starting to get my head around this and the implications but have a few questions. The plan will be to use a 4 x 4 HDbaseT matrix running inputs out to 3 screens for now.

Inputs are Sky, Blu Ray and future media server. Outputs will be Living room, kids playroom and study. The last two tv’s are not yet purchased and will be purchased a little further down the line.

I plan on running 3 cat6 cables to each location to ensure connectivity to the matrix, one for internet / smart tv connection and one spare.

In the living room I currently run a 5.1 surround system and am not sure how this will integrate with the matrix. Ideally I would also like the AV amp at node 0 but I have read about issues across zones with audio outputs. I am a bit unclear on this and how to set this up as currently the amp handles all the inputs and the output. Is it just the case that if I incorporate tv’s which can handle a 5.1 input or add soundbars to the two extra tv’s that there is no issue?

Secondly would I also need to run a sub cable from the Node 0 to the sub location in the living room or would this be done a different way?

Thanks in advance

2. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    yes that is correct

Either a sub Cable or RCA/phono over Cat6

The media server surely wouldnt be an input into the matrix, that would be better done with media players at the TVs or Smart TV DLNA to access files over the network from the media server.

This way you can also play different streams to different TVS at the same time.

3. thewillski

thewillski
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for your response Seb. I meant to put Media player but more than likely this will be handled differently moving forwards

Wiring is all now in and works are complete so it is a case of starting to install the additional hardware needed to achieve the functionality.

Everything is wired to node 0 as follows:
    3 x cat 6 cable for each tv location
    2 x shotgun sky cables
    5 x surround sound speaker cables plus sub rca cable

The next thing I need to do is identify a 4 x 4 matrix to cover my needs including discrete IR, POC and signal over CAT cable. Ideally I would like to do this for under £1500.

Finally I am still a little unsure in how the AV amp will wire in. Is it best to get a unit with dual cat / HDMI output with the CAT cable going back to the screen and the hdmi supplying the amp? How will volume control then work with this?

Sorry for all the questions

Many thanks

4. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Obviously going to recommend ours but whichever you go for ensure it is HDBAseT standard . Though it is £1499 plus vat

Not sure I understand the question about the aVR ,

Seb