4 way Toslink Passthrough? - for Sonos Playbar

PepsiWithIce

Standard Member
I'm wondering if someone can steer me in the right direction.

I am looking for a 4 way Toslink Passthrough, not a switch. so i can connect 4 optical leads and have 1 output. but it takes audio from all of the sources at once and i don't have to switch (with a remote or otherwise)

I have the Sonos Playbar which as you may know only gets true 5.1 from being directly connected to a device via optical.

so here is the ideal set-up

PS3 -> Passthrough
PS4 -> Passthrough
HTPC -> Passthrough
(all of the above will be silent or off when not being watched/used)

Sky (cable) Box -> HDMI to TV -> Optical to Passthrough
Passthrough -> Soundbar

This way when the HDMI channel is on anything but the Sky channel. the sound from the Sky box (which is on all the time) wont be played, as there will be no sound output from the TVs HDMI.

and when i'm watching sky all the other devices will be off. I understand Sky wont be true 5.1, but i'm not bothered as it on in the background mostly. Films are played on the HTPC.

Having to switch audio sources every time negates the elegance of the Sonos playbar.

any advice would be great thanks :)

Last edited:

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Whatever you have in mind there are no 'Passthru multi input Optical devices' on the market!

Audio Authority had a very good multi input Optical Switch with auto Source selection - though it was quite costly (£250+).

Have a look at our Octava HD41-ARC - we supply a lot of these to PLAYBAR owners.

You can use it as an HDMI or HDMI + Optical switch - the second option allows you to listen to one source whilst you view another.

The Switch will in most systems Auto select the most recently active Source - you can also memorise if you want HDMI audio or Optical audio from each each Source routed to the Optical Out on the Switch.

Media Factory - Octava HD41-ARC-UK, HDMI + Optical + ARC switch

Joe

PepsiWithIce

Standard Member
Thanks Joe, I did look into that product however it's not suitable for my setup.

Each HDMI channel on the TV has its own picture setup. HTPC is set for movies, and games consoles are set on gaming mode etc. Took me hours to get all the tv settings right for each input. And the octava only has 1 HDMI output.

playing a game on "movie settings" looks terrible.

I'll read a few reviews on the viewHD thanks guys :)

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
‘Each HDMI channel on the TV has its own picture setup’ - always a problem when you can’t quickly call up ‘Pre-sets’.

Manufacturers such as Lumagen (Video Processing) have a great option to create ‘virtual’ Inputs using multiple memories on the one HDMI Input.

If required our Switch can be used a s a high quality 'Optical Only' switch.

Joe

PepsiWithIce

Standard Member
Adding lumagen to the mix is starting to make this setup alot more expensive and complicated than it needs to be.

The idea of the splitter/passthrough to eliminate the need the for choosing the audio source. If I have to change picture preset each time, that extra step might aswell be used to changed to audio source.

This should be achievable with a simple £50, 4 way toslink splitter, which keeps all the audio inputs open. But they don't seem to exist, 2 way splitters exist - sigh.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
It’s not a Splitter you require it’s a 4-Input Optical Switch – you could try utilising a 1x4 Optical Splitter in reverse but A. they are hard to find and B. they tend to be pretty poor quality.

Optical Switch gear tends to either be basic/cheap or properly engineered and costs a bit as they don’t sell in big numbers.

As before you can use our Switch as an Optical Only switch or you could try tracking down a second hand Audio Authority AA1177a – that is a 5-Input Auto Switch, though not cheap and quite rare in the UK.

You would only use the Lumagen if you want to ensure you have your image optimised for all Sources – the RadianceMini-3D with its ‘virtual’ HDMI ports is a good option (in addition to a calibration).

Joe

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Best to speak with Lindy Tech Support - they will know if you can reverse wire that unit or not.

Joe

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
The fact it has a power supply presumably means it is doing some processing. I suspect it would converting the signal back to electric and passing it back to optical on each of the 4 outputs. This would be more reliable\cheaper than an optical only solution.

Member 373730

Novice Member
You cannot use our units in reverse I'm afraid.

Basic units which "bend" or "split" the signal would probably work, but are unreliable and can cause issues in some setups.

The only option we could offer would be a unit (2/4 port) with a switch / remote, unless you can only use two sources, as we have an automatic switching unit coming very shortly. Our part number 70405

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom