Question 4 Subs, or out with the old and in with the new?

Starmax

Standard Member
Hello all,

Quick Summary:
I want to replace my 2x Tannoy SFX subs with 2x new subs to give more & deeper bass. Budget of £1000 (total, not each). Space is a little bit of an issue, but after a brief discussion with another user on here I have abandoned my original plan of keeping the Tannoy's and running 4 subs, so to a certain extent I can go larger than originally planned.

I was thinking along the lines of SVS SB1000 or BK P12-300SB-PR (when they resume production).

I know that I set a budget of £1000 but if the consensus is that I need to spend a bit more then I will consider it. Especially as SB2000's and Arendal 1961 1S have also been recommended to me - with the idea that the extra cost will benefit greatly in the resultant output.

I'm interested to hear views and opinions on sub choices and even suggestions on anything I might have overlooked!

I have included a simple plan and more information on what I have, in the hope it will paint a bigger picture to give you more to work with. Apologies if I have missed out anything obvious. Please let me know if you need any further information.

Thanks!

Detailed Summary:
In January this year I embarked on upgrading my dedicated home cinema room. I would prefer to have a room 3 times the size but I feel fortunate enough to actually have a room that I can use purely for this one hobby and also one that I don't really have to worry about high sound levels being as the house is detached.
The size and shape of the room has meant I have had to make compromises, but I feel I've managed to make the best of the situation.
Compromise 1: Seating - against back wall - would rather have in the middle of a much larger room for surround sound distance.

The room has a cottage style window (shown on the right of my simple plan). This also means a stepped down ceiling which also slopes down. It was easier and cheaper for the house builders to box in that part of room. I used that wasted space to fit MDF cubes (shown in orange) to house the AV kit, PC and gaming consoles etc. Ceiling height in the tallest part of the room is 2.3m. As I mentioned previously, the ceiling steps down and also slopes so it is difficult to calculate the exact volume of the room.

I've managed to install 4 ceiling and 4 surround speakers, so giving me a Dolby Atmos 7.2.4 configuration.

Equipment:
Denon AVR-X3600
BenQ W2700 Projector
Pro-Ject Amp Box S2 Stereo Power Amplifier (to drive those extra 2 channels)
Tannoy SFX Subs
Wharfedale speakers

I've built custom furniture in order to house in-wall speakers & lighting and provide sound absorption. They are as follows:
1.5m x 1.2m x 10cm box - attached to ceiling
Box for centre speaker to sit on
Wall mounted shelving and box providing housing for in-wall surround speaker (shown in brown on plan)

The sound absorption I have used is rockwool and the outer covering is sound transparent material to allow sound to pass through. As I created and installed each piece of furniture it was amazing to hear the difference the absorption made to the sound in the room. The room originally had a wooden floor and there was quite a bit of bass boom and echo with voices - the sound absorption in the furniture pretty much eliminated this - to my amateur ears anyway!

The flooring is now carpet with 11mm Cloud 9 underlay. I was expecting the carpet to absorb some of the bass from the Tannoy's and it certainly has done that. Better performing subs have always been on my radar and now is the time that I am wanting to upgrade.

Cinema.png

Not to scale

Key:

Red - Wharfedale Diamond 230 Floor Standing Speaker
Green - Wharfedale Diamond 11.CS Centre Speaker sat on home-made box stand incorporating sound absorption material
Yellow - Tannoy SFX Subwoofer
Pink - 90" Screen
Orange - AV equipment housed in home-made boxed enclosure recessed in wall
Brown - homemade shelving also housing surround speaker and sound absorption material.
Blue - Main listening position (projector mounted above this position)

fatboy frank

Distinguished Member
I would also include PSA S15** Series on the list, there are some new versions of the S15** Series just coming out which will no doubt result in some coming up for sale.

MI55ION

Distinguished Member
At this budget it'll be difficult recommend off the shelf subs that produce deep accurate earth shattering bass however seeing as you have some experience with building things you have a lot more options. If you have some basic DIY skills I would suggest:

Look into the diy sub section on how to build a couple of 15" subs.

Look into a single sub plus a BOSS platform.

Look into a single sub plus a tactile transducer.

All of the above should give you considerably more headroom, extreme bragging rights and satisfy any upgraditus for years to come. All incredible value for money options and within your budget.

Dolus

I know nothing about the Tannoy SFX subwoofer so looked it up just to see.

Going by the specs and that it did not appear very expensive there should be a whole shedload of subs queuing up in your £1000 budget that would easily surpass the Tannoy.

As you mentioned the BK P12-300SB-PR, did you see the review for the REL S510 a £1900 sub that got a Highly Recommended reward. The interesting part was the last paragraph:-

At a fraction of the cost, the BK Electronics P12-300SB-PR has to be considered a serious alternative. It uses a forward-firing 12-inch driver and matching downward-firing passive radiator, along with a similar connections that include high-level inputs. The S/510 is prettier, better made and boasts more power, but the BK can give it a serious run for its money in terms of bass extension, and it's hard to ignore a saving of over £1,400.

REL S/510 review

TANNOY SFX Specs

PERFORMANCE
Power output ...............................................................100 Watts
Frequency response (-6dB) ....................................45Hz - 140Hz
Driver ..............................................................................200mm (8.00”) paper cone
Inputs..............................................................................Twin line or speaker level
Power requirements .................................................160VA max
Fuse ratings................................................................. AC100-120V / 60Hz - Fuse: T1.6A L /250V
....................................................................................... AC 220-240V / 50Hz - Fuse: T800mA L /250V
Additional features ...................................................ON / OFF/ AUTO power function
Weight ...........................................................................9.0kg (20.0lbs)
Dimensions ..................................................................H x W x D 345 x 250 x 370 mm (13.58 x 9.84 x 14.57”)
Finish ..............................................................................Silver or black

Last edited:

Gerry557

Actually surprised no one has done a chart of performance v cost with some recommendations at certain price points of subs.

I would also mention the XTZ 12.17 edge, might be in your price point when they have a sale. We'll reviewed here although you will need to check whatever sub for size. Some can be monsters, especially for those not as interested in your hobby.

Starmax

Standard Member
At this budget it'll be difficult recommend off the shelf subs that produce deep accurate earth shattering bass however seeing as you have some experience with building things you have a lot more options. If you have some basic DIY skills I would suggest:

Look into the diy sub section on how to build a couple of 15" subs.

Look into a single sub plus a BOSS platform.

Look into a single sub plus a tactile transducer.

All of the above should give you considerably more headroom, extreme bragging rights and satisfy any upgraditus for years to come. All incredible value for money options and within your budget.

Thank you to those that have replied. All very useful information.

At the moment, MI55ION's suggestion about DIY has made me realise that by going in this direction means I would hopefully be able to incorporate some 15" drivers in a cabinet that would fit in the space I have available.

Time for a post in the DIY sub section.

Cheers!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom