• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

4 speakers on one output

leedowner

Standard Member
Seasons greetings, high quality AV to all men and clutter free speaker placement to their wives.

I have an atmos enabled onkyo amp and a 7.1 speaker setup, I also have atmos ceiling speakers, however, I have to choose between 7.1 or 5.1.2 due to lack of speaker channels.

If I connect rear surround speakers and my atmos speakers to the same output on the amp I understand that could cause problems. But what if I disconnect the rear surrounds when I want to use the ceiling speakers and vice versa when I want 7.1.

Disconnect at the speakers I mean, I want to leave the connections in the back of the amp as that is more difficult to access.

Hope I've explained that we'll enough.

Any problems doing that? It's basically just two extra speaker wires carrying a signal that doesn't lead to any speakers.

Thanks, lee.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
You would also have to rerun the setup and calibration each time as well as tell the amp you have changed from one setup to the other. This is because there will be different information going to the rear surrounds compared to the Atmos system. Personally I would just set it up for one of the configurations and leave it like that (or buy a 9 channel Atmos amp so you can 7.1.2).

leedowner

Standard Member
I wouldn't need to recalibrate anything, only change the output format in the blu ray menu, If I want atmos I unplug rear speakers and connect ceiling speakers or vice versa if I want 7.1. AVR doesn't know what speakers are where.

Does anyone have recommendations for good ceiling speakers? I don't want to spend anymore than about £200 for the pair and they have to be surface mounted to the ceiling, sinking them in isn't an option, also need speaker brackets that can be ceiling mounted.

I just sold the onkyo atmos speakers included with my AVR.

Thanks, lee.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
You would need to recalibrate since you would need to reassign the channels from rear surrounds to Atmos duties and vice versa to go back. Without doing this you would have the rear surround effects coming out of the Atmos speakers or the other way around. How else will the amp know which configuration you have set it too? You would then need to recalibrate so that the amp knows the levels for the new speakers

leedowner

Standard Member
I'm not 100% on this but I think my amp saves settings for each format, dts:hd, atmos etc.. So simply switching between them using the remote should be enough to change settings, I'll check that though.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom