Question 4 sources, 1 TV and 1 AMP : how to route signal (A/V)

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by watermelon, May 11, 2016.

1. watermelon

watermelon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hello guys,

I recently acquired a 4k LG OLED Tv, and i'm now wondering how to perfectly connect my sources to keep best audio and video signal.

So basically I currently have :
    - 1 PS4 (hdmi 1.4)
    - 1 Tv Box (with HDMI 2.0 4k/60 capabilities)
    - 1 Wii U (hdmi 1.4)
    - 1 PC (laptop, currently with hdmi 1.4 but might be replaced with a hdmi 2.0 capable laptop soon)

- 1 A/V Amp Onkyo TXNR636 (several hdmi 1.4 inputs, 1 hdmi 2.0 hdcp 2.2 input, 2 hdmi output but only 1 with hdmi2.0 hdcp 2.2 support, and limited to 4:2:0 10 bits or 4:4:4 8 bits) with 5.1 sound setup.

- 1 Tv (LG OLED 65EF950v, connected to Amp with 1 hdmi, ARC enabled to redirect sound from smart tv apps like netflix, but limited to AC3; It has 3 hdmi inputs)

Currently, each source is connected to my Amp, and then the Amp decodes sound and redirect video to the TV with the main HDMI output (hdmi2.0).

This setup has limitations : currently I only have 1 4k/60hz capable source, but this will change in a near future : I plan to replace my laptop with a new one having hdmi2.0 output, and there might be an updated "PS4K" I'm interested in, also having this to read UHD BD with HDR and 4:4:4 10bits colors.

The key here is that my Amp in-between my sources and my Tv is the weak point : I've read several things about this amp degrading the video signal, at least having impact on the colors.
    Thus I would like to find a way to connect all my sources to my TV directly but the sources should also be connected to the Amp directly to get the sound, and keep DTS-HD or Dolby THD whenever it is available. But I dont know what do I need to achieve this. Could someone advise me on this ?

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,333
    I'd hold out until the 'next' generation of AVR with support for everything you require arrives.

Joe

3. watermelon

watermelon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Okay so i guess there is no easy solution to my problem.. Basically there will always be 'something new' coming out 'soon' which makes it hard to have everything fully compatible together. I was just curious to know how you guys usually do when you have a 4k Tv on one side and an AVR for surround sound on the other side, and keep best of both world with several AV sources (PC, gaming console, etc.).

From what I'm seen so far on different places the only solution is to have for example a 4k 4x4 Matrix normally used in multiroom scenario which would be very expensive for what I actually need (everything is centralized in one place), or a HDFury Integral (2x2) splitter. which is more affordable but limited to 2 inputs.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,333
    UHD BD and a gaming PC are really the only 'problem' items - unless you are streaming content with a higher Frame rate than 30fps from the other '4K' Sources.

For UHD BD we will usually have those devices with a direct connection to a dedicated Display - with (where required) a 'B Output to either a non-UHD capable AVR or a Matrix taking 2160p30 + Stereo audio to other areas of the house.

Yes you can use the HDF Integral (assuming HDMI.org doesn't ban it soon) or have an UHD player with Dual (configurable) HDMI Output - I can't see a 'low cost' alternative happening any time soon.

With agreement on UHD and what it requires only happening in Feb this year the AVR and periphery manufacturers are running hard to keep up - very few chip vendors can offer the 'small guys' anything which supports everything you require.

Sending a full range signal out of an UHD BD player over anything but a relatively short copper cable is problematic - fibre is the way to go for long cables.

Joe

5. Ian_S

Ian_S
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,197
    Because we all have high end disk arrays that can capture 1.8 GB/s, with the odd 17 TB of space to rip UHD films from HDMI raw data streams with... While we then wait several weeks to encode it down to something usable... :eek:

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,333
    It does seem 'odd' that the Rights Management folk continue to worry about 'copying' an HDMI stream!

Joe

7. watermelon

watermelon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I just discovered that my laptop also has mini Displayport 1.2 : according to its specification, it should be able to output [email protected] to a HDMi 2.0 compliant device like my TV, using a proper adapter. I found one :
    Mini DisplayPort™ 1.2 to HDMI™ 2.0 4K60Hz UHD Active Adapter - Connect and do more

This could be a solution to output the video directly to the TV, and audio would be routed through hdmi on my Av receiver.

What do you think ? Have you ever tried to do something similar ? May I experience delays between audio and video as they are routed to different devices ?

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,333
    UHD and HDCP 2.2 is still a learning curve for all of us.

Content protected by HDCP 2.2 can be flagged to do different things when the Source encounters an non-HDCP2 Sink - the Source may simply stop Outputting a signal or may automatically drop the Source back to 1080p.

Mini DP adapters etc are worth trying out but be prepared for having to return kit if it does not work as required.

The HDF Integral is a good tool - for as long as HDF can continue to ship them!

Delays - most likely yes, though hopefully most AVR's have the ability to adjust the digital audio output to keep it in Sync with a stand-alone Display device.

Joe