• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

4 ohms and 8 ohms setup to amp?

swartzy

Distinguished Member
Hi,
wondering if anyone could please help me with this

I have the present speaker and amp setup

Tannoy M3 Fronts
Tannoy MC Centre
Tannoy MR front effects
Tannoy M3 Rears

Yamaha DSP-AX2 home cinema amplifier

my question is that all the above speakers are 8 ohms and I have the Yamaha amp currently set to 8 ohms

I have won a set of Epos 303 floorstanding speakers which are rated at 4 ohms ....will I have to adjust the amp settings to 4 ohms or keep it as it is at 8 ohms if I replace the front Tannoys with the Epos 303's and will the speakers be o.k. at this?

thanks in anticipation of a reply

swartzy :confused:

Reiner

To be on the safe side you should set it to 4 Ohms (toggle the switch while powered off only), but in practice you can actually leave it at 8 Ohm if you keep the volume levels normal. Should the amp show any problems (e.g. protection circuit is triggered) change the switch, it only reduces the (max.) output power.

swartzy

Distinguished Member
Reiner said:
To be on the safe side you should set it to 4 Ohms (toggle the switch while powered off only), but in practice you can actually leave it at 8 Ohm if you keep the volume levels normal. Should the amp show any problems (e.g. protection circuit is triggered) change the switch, it only reduces the (max.) output power.

Hi Reiner,
thankyou very much for the feedback will take your suggestion to set it at 4 ohms to be on the safe side as I usually like the amp a bit above normal listening levels at various times....

much obliged
swartzy :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom