4 ohm speakers with Pioneer VSX-AX3

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by nelius, Mar 11, 2004.

1. nelius

nelius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I have the following speakers:

Jamo E 800 (4 Ohm - Power Long/Short term 100/140 watt) <--- Left/Right front speakers
    Jamo E 8Cen (6 Ohm - Power Long/Short term 100/200 watt) <--- Center speaker
    Jamo E 8Surr (8 Ohm Not sure of the power handling but could be 100/140 watt) <--- Surrounds Left Right.

I have a Pioneer VSX-AX3 on the way and it has the following specs in the manual:
    ==================================================

Maximum Output Power..................................130 W/channel (1 kHz, THD 10.0 %, 8 Ohm)

Continuous Power Output (DIN)
    Front..................100 W + 100 W (DIN 1 kHz, THD 1%, 8 Ohm)
    Center..............................100 W (DIN 1 kHz, THD 1%, 8 Ohm)
    Surround...........100 W + 100 W (DIN 1 kHz, THD 1%, 8 Ohm)
    Surround Back ....................100 W + 100 W (DIN 1 kHz, THD 1%, 8 Ohm)

==================================================

Is this going to create problems for my speakers??? I have no idea about this kind of stuff. All help appreciated.

2. Grimley

Grimley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +185
    I've got an AX3 & it drives my 4ohm speakers OK, you just need to set the impedence setting on the Receiver when you get it. (put the Receiver in STANDBY mode, then press the speakers button & the power button at the same time, on page 26 of the manual)

I wouldn't expect reference sound levels from it though, but I don't play mine at reference levels...

HTH

3. nelius

nelius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Grimleys. After reading up a bit more on this, I've decided against this receiver and gone for the Yamaha RX-V 1400 since it give a bit more ooomph! and other members on this board that auditioned the 2 of these receivers consider the Yamaha better for movies, which is my main source of entertainment. Thanks.