• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

4 months no MOT - whats the score?

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
So my wife just realised she doesn't have a current MOT. Last one expired at the end of April this year. Tax is due end of September.

I checked various sites but couldn't see any major legal issues, other than you need a current MOT to obtain a tax disc.

So are we OK just going ahead and getting it MOTd now?

pjclark1

Prominent Member
Yes you are.
No accident, no problem.

Bilbob

Prominent Member
Just consider yerself (or her!) lucky, and get it MOT'd.

No issues!

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Yeah, just get it MOTd and you will be fine.

This sort of thing makes me wonder how many people are going around with lapsed MOTs on their cars. At work we used to find it all the time. When it came round to getting a tax disc we would find out the MOT had run out months ago. :oops: Doesn't happen anymore though.

Drd

Prominent Member
That's it in a nutshell.If your tax and MOT don't run concurrently it's easy to overlook your MOT.I lost track of our kids Ka a year or two ago.What's needed is some sort of reminder that it's due,as we already receive for road tax.How mant billions do you reckon a new Quango could charge us for this?

NWhiteley

Established Member
With the current MOT scheme being computerised, the government must have a list of all cars without a MOT, so im amased that they dont send out reminders, similar to those for vehicle excise duty.

Uridium

Distinguished Member
That's it in a nutshell.If your tax and MOT don't run concurrently it's easy to overlook your MOT.I lost track of our kids Ka a year or two ago.What's needed is some sort of reminder that it's due,as we already receive for road tax.How mant billions do you reckon a new Quango could charge us for this?

New MOT cert's now have a removable sticker with the expiry date on that should be removed and stuck on car windscreen.

NWhiteley

Established Member
New MOT cert's now have a removable sticker with the expiry date on that should be removed and stuck on car windscreen.

In theory, its a good idea, but in practice, the sticker is left on the certificate, or if it is stuck on the windscreen, the details printed on it are often too faded to read.

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
In theory, its a good idea, but in practice, the sticker is left on the certificate, or if it is stuck on the windscreen, the details printed on it are often too faded to read.

or you don't pay attention to it.

Even tax is easy to forget and that has a big date stamped across the front of it, stuck on your windscreen. But they now send you reminders which is very handy. Surprised they don't do the same with MOTs. Perhaps they will once the computerised system is widespread enough?

NWhiteley

Established Member
or you don't pay attention to it.

Even tax is easy to forget and that has a big date stamped across the front of it, stuck on your windscreen. But they now send you reminders which is very handy. Surprised they don't do the same with MOTs. Perhaps they will once the computerised system is widespread enough?

As far as im aware, every MOT station is now computerised, and has been for over a year, so i theory, every car that is old enough to be MOT'ed, (and still on the road) should have had atleast 1 new style certificate. Perhaps sending out a reminder such as that for tax, is in the pipeline, but the implementation of MOT computerisation, and getting it right, has taken priority.

Ian J

Banned
A couple of weeks ago I realised that the MOT had expired on my wife's car two months earlier. I think that the lack of a current MOT could give the insurance company an excuse not to pay out in the event of an accident and it is a criminal offence too.

When I buy a car I normally insist on a fresh MOT to go with the tax so they both need renewing at the same time but this time it had 10 months MOT on it so i didn't bother.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom