1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4 mega pixels enough?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Dave H, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Dave H

Dave H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Hi ive decided on buying a canon Ixus compact camera, the problem is I wanted the Ixus 50 but the man at Dixons recommended the ixus 40 saying you don't really need five mega pixels unless you want to blow up the picture bigger than A4. I will be taking family pictures and scenery and maybe getting pictures blown up too A4 size.
    will there be a differance in quality between the 40 and 50 apart from the price?

Dave.

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,745
    I notice a difference between my 5 Mega Pixels Ixus 500 and the 3 Mega Pixels of me Panasonic Z3 and really wished that I'd got the Z5 instead for the extra you get with 5 MP. You notice it zooming in and cropping as well as printing large sizes, so if it were me I would always go for the one with 5 rather than 4 if I could afford it.

3. snelly

snelly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Dave H not sure how much you were going to spnd but currys (dixons group) have the ixus 750 (lates 7mp version) on the website for £283 tonight.

Plus if you use the special discount code CURRYS20 at the checkout (in the promotional code) you get a further £20 off anything costing more than £200 and it is in stock at the mo.

the product code is 286205

£263 delivered for this camera would be a bargain imo

hope that helps
    Tim

4. mjw123

mjw123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    For that money you'd be mad to pass up the Panny FZ5...true gem.

5. senu

senu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,865
    The Above advice is spot on .
    My little tome is just general regarding what you get for you money regarding the no of pixels you end up with

The quality of your picture will depend ( assuming ideal photographing conditions), on the camera lens , its digital processing hardware / software, the no of pixels and (techno here )size of the pixels crammed onto the ccd. Quite a few variables eh?
    In short, an absolute greater pixel doesnt nessesarily mean better quality. BUT a higher megapixel count on otherwise similarly specified cameras will get you a better picture overall.
    One main advantage of more pixels is the ability to crop unwanted parts out of your image and still end up with a decent picture. Disadvantage (if any) is the large file sizes and need to have a bigger media card.
    I have a 3-4 megapixel fujifilm 602, and 8 megapixel Canon 350d Digital SLR and my wife a 5 megapixel CanonSureshot A95. A straight 4 x 6 print from pics taken in similar conditions from all 3 are not dissimilar. However given a choice,I always end up using the 350D unless Im absolutely sure the pic was not going to end up in print
    I would take the Dixon salesmans advice about not going beyond 4 megapixel as sales talk they need to Move those cameras on quickly. They probably have no difficulty pushing the "bigger" megapixel cameras off the shelves. If however your pictures are only going to be viewed on the computer and on the internet ,Any decent camera will do. but given the fact that " entry" level cameras are now 5 megapixels and above ,dont buy into older technology at a premium

6. neelpeel11

neelpeel11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I remember seeing the same question on forums when cameras were going from 1 to 2MP and then from 2 to 3MP.
    The higher you go the less the difference will be. I.e. 3 to 4MP isn't that much of a % increase in area and is even less in terms of just height (can't be bothered doing the sums, but i've seen them quoted and its surprising how little difference it is).
    I personally would put more down to the features and image quality from the camera. I'd rather spend an extra £50 and get a more responsive camera with less purple fringing than an extra £50 for another MP.

7. Duffers0

Duffers0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a general rule of thumb try to aim for 300 dpi (dots per inch) therefore a 5x7 inch print is 1500x2100 pixels = 3.1 million pixels.

6x8 inch = roughly 4 mega pixel required and so forth.

A4 roughly = 11x8 therefore = 3300x2400 = 7.9 ( say 8mega pixels) or a canon 20d :D

Also if you crop, you reduce numbers of pixels available.

Anything from 240 - 300 dpi will suffice for good quality prints.

Hope this helps

8. snelly

snelly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Couple of ponts I would make. More megapixels are always better *if* you dont mind paying for extra memory and you dont lose quality into the bargain. One of the biggest factors for me about high pixel count is ability to crop and still make largeish prints.

THe problem is many cameras (mainly compacts) try and squeeze to many pixels on too small a sensor and this results in poor image quality (usually noise). For an example compare the absolute image quality of an FZ20 and an FZ30. The extra pixel count for the fx30 hardly matters here as 100% views show very high noise levels.

Just my opinion of course

Tim

9. Dave H

Dave H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Thanks for your advice every body, I've decided to go for the Canon Ixos 50 with 512 sd memory card spare battery and case.
    I have found a good price from www.internetdirect.co.uk for £244 inc delivery, but I heard that Jessops will price match if they can.
    so I'am off to Jessops in the morning with a print out with some prices on.

Dave.

PS only trouble is Jessops quote on the net £341.96 so we will see how I get on.

10. Dave H

Dave H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Jessops couldn't price match exactly, they did it for 259.68 but I got the official battery and case instead of copys so I'am happy enough.

Thanks Dave.