4 location satellite and tv set up

B

Bob 5000

I have recently moved into a house built 20 years ago. The house has 4 TV out faceplates. Standard 75 Ohm coax was run in the walls when the house was built. The house has an aerial in the loft but when I moved in none of the aerial leads where connected. I have since installed a 4 way masthead amplifier to feed the four outlets. Also on the house is a minidish with a single LNB.
What I would like to do is get an independant satellite feed to each of the existing tv points.
I am not too well up on satellite installation but have come up with the following plan and would like feedback / comments on its viability and suggestions if this is not the best way to implement this.

My plan is to fit a quad LNB to the satellite dish and feed the four cables into the loft. Buy four diplexers and combine one satellite feed and one tv feed from the masthead amplifier and output this into an exisiting coax cable that feeds an exsiting faceplate. Repeat this four times for the four sat feeds and the four tv feeds into the exsiting cabling feeding the faceplates. Replace all four faceplates with tv / sat spliter faceplates.

Initial thougts are
Is this the best method to achieve what I want and will it work as expected? (Plan is to have freesat boxes for now, but also assume that If I do have Sky then I am not bothered about having Sky+ anywhere)

Is the existing cable Ok to run the diplexed feeds? From what I have seen opinion seems divided, would it have to be a case of suck it and see and hope that it will be OK and that I won't have to rip out the exisiting cabling.

Sorry if this is a bit long but wanted to get as much info into post as possible up front to avoid lots of questions later.
Thanks in advance

Is the existing cable double screened (essential for satrellite cable) - i.e does it have both braided and a foil screening (copper foil is best but aluminium foil is OK for interior use)?

No just standard coax with braided insulation

You will not get Satellite signal down this cable you will need to replace the cabling. I know from experience. If the cable is in conduit you may be able to pull new cable through from the wall socket as new cable is usually thinner however it will be a pain to do. Chances are the cable is plastered over so no choice but to run new.
It can go under carpet if you have gripper rods round the room as there will be space here between underlay and gripper if you can get cable down to floor levelunobtrusively. If you have clippy cloppy flooring then you are a bit stuffed.
If the walls are stud you could cut the plasterboard and patch up (very messy and not ideal) or try removing the architraves as there is a gap round the door frame, then you need to feed cable up to first floor and repeat. Not sure you have many options.

I have recently moved into a house built 20 years ago. The house has 4 TV out faceplates. Standard 75 Ohm coax was run in the walls when the house was built. The house has an aerial in the loft but when I moved in none of the aerial leads where connected. I have since installed a 4 way masthead amplifier to feed the four outlets. Also on the house is a minidish with a single LNB.
What I would like to do is get an independant satellite feed to each of the existing tv points.
I am not too well up on satellite installation but have come up with the following plan and would like feedback / comments on its viability and suggestions if this is not the best way to implement this.

My plan is to fit a quad LNB to the satellite dish and feed the four cables into the loft. Buy four diplexers and combine one satellite feed and one tv feed from the masthead amplifier and output this into an exisiting coax cable that feeds an exsiting faceplate. Repeat this four times for the four sat feeds and the four tv feeds into the exsiting cabling feeding the faceplates. Replace all four faceplates with tv / sat spliter faceplates.

Initial thougts are
Is this the best method to achieve what I want and will it work as expected? (Plan is to have freesat boxes for now, but also assume that If I do have Sky then I am not bothered about having Sky+ anywhere)

Is the existing cable Ok to run the diplexed feeds? From what I have seen opinion seems divided, would it have to be a case of suck it and see and hope that it will be OK and that I won't have to rip out the exisiting cabling.

Sorry if this is a bit long but wanted to get as much info into post as possible up front to avoid lots of questions later.
Thanks in advance

Hi, if your in my area maybe i could help you with the installaton! TV Aerial and Satellite Installations, Installers of Freesat In Reading, wokingham, crowthorne, Bracknell,

It may work on standard airspace cable if the run is short and the cables properly terminted, losses will be higher but you may be able to overcome this rather tahn using a mast head amp + Diplexors you may be much better off with a multiswitch

You could put the 4 sky boxes in the loft and TVlink down to each room? Won't be able to use the scart outputs though.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom