1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4 gang X10 light module?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by t1grm, Feb 12, 2005.

1. t1grm

t1grm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone know if there is a 4 gang X10 light module? If not, any ideas on the following?

My current manual unit is 4-gang flush mounted on a metal box and is the size of a double mains plug socket fitting. I want to be able to control all four lights separately.

Looking round the internet I can only see a 2-gang X10 light module.

I doubt I’d get 4 of the mini in-line units behind the manual unit. The only other alternative is to have 2 x 2-gang modules next to each other but it doesn’t look as clean and would also involve chasing/plastering/painting which I want to avoid.

2. t1grm

t1grm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, slight re-think. I’ve now read that the TMA4/TMD4 modules can control up to 4 appliances. So am I right in thinking that I can just stick ONE of these units behind my four gang switch, wire each output up to each switch and then, using a transceiver module and remote, control all four lights separately?

Also I the TMD4 does dimming. My existing switch is just standard on/off. Can I fit the TMD4 and have dimming when using the remote and just on/off when using the manual switches?

3. Docta teef

Docta teef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    That would be my understanding but not sure. If you try it out and it works let me know

4. rectorydp

rectorydp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The TMD4/TMA4 only issue X10 commands. They are designed to be connected to switches, typically in the back box and send out X10 commands on the powerline when the switches are operated. You need to use them with other X10 dimmers or appliance modules to operate the lights.

The TMD4 works quite well with LD11's although you have to allow time between switch operations otherwise commands are lost, ie if you operate two switches together only one command appears to be issued. I think it may be somthing to do with the micromodule waiting to determine if the switch operation is a dim command or momentary (<0.5 seconds).

BR
    David

5. t1grm

t1grm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the explanation but I’m still a bit confused. The LD11 is a DIN module and I need to control multiple lights on one ring separately. So IIUC I need a transmitter at the switch (e.g. a TMD4) and then a receiver at each lamp (e.g. LWM1). But all that gives me is a light which I can switch on and off from the switch, which I can do already!

What I would like to do is supplement the ability to manually switch the lights with remote control using X10. So how about using an LWM1 for each set of lamps, a TM13U transceiver and a programmable remote? Would that have the desired effect?

6. Gooba

Gooba
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same problem as you. I had several lighting circuits in my living room that I wanted to control from one double gang switch. I solved the 'problem' by using a LD11 for each circuit. They are mounted in a consumer unit in a cupboard. I used a double gang 3-way (4-way is available) MK grid frontplate and three momentary gird switches. This works like a dream. I have local control of the lights. I can also control the lights with Homeseer and have several 'scenes' setup which is nice. I think this would solve your scenario.

You can buy the MK frontplates from B&Q but the only place I have found that does the switches is TLC. The LD11's can be purchased from Lets Automate, Simply or Laser etc.

Hope this helps but if you have any other questions then please ask.

John

7. rectorydp

rectorydp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Once you have X10 dimmer modules controlling the lights then you can put commands on the powerline in many different ways, eg:

RF remote to TM13U
    IR remote to IR7243
    PC to CM12U
    etc

The dimmer module could be an LD11, LWM1, the new Harmony HDM1, etc. All of these will take switch input and have different advantages/disadvantages.

So you can certainly do what you want.

The TMD4 is quite handy because it allows you to issue X10 commands from the switch which will allow other systems (eg a central controller) to keep in step. If this isn't important, then you can wire the switches directly to the LD11s. The HDM1/LWM1 can be located at the switch although you would be struggling to get 4 in a back box! The LWM1 does require a neutral wire which may not be available at the switch in your current configuration. However, neither has to be located in a back box. You could place them in a mini consumer unit or equivalent.

I hope this helps.
    David