4 "Can I do this on an Ipad" questions from an Ipad Noob

Discussion in 'iPad Forum' started by domtheone, Jan 9, 2012.

Tags:
  1. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,813
    So i've been considering a budget tablet and now it's time to consider a not so budget Tablet.

Had a first play with an Ipad today in Currys. Was very nice. Very impressed by how responsive the screen was and how easy it was to navigate around with the swipe of a finger.

I'm going to be travelling on and off over the next few months and really want to take a tablet instead of my laptop (too big/heavy/can't hide it easily).

I'm aware that Apple like to do things their way so i've listed below 5 things that i'd want to do on a tablet. Appreciate it if you owners out there could confirm whether these are possible.

After reading various threads about Ipad3 soon, maybe getting an Ipad 1 s/h is an options so would my 5 requests work ok on that model?

1. Surf Web (BBC/Online Banking/Daily Telegraph/Lonely Planet/Ryanair etc etc + general other websites).

I used the Safari browser earlier today and it appeared that you could have multiple tabs open (sure I read that this wasn't possible) as I opened up the BBC and Ebay. I also clicked the main button at the bottom to go back to the front screen, then Safari again and it remembered the websites so does this mean that you can surf (say online banking) hide the Safari, do something else for a few secs then go back to Safari and continue your online banking?

2. Play Videos (possibly some music files too). Usual stuff like AVI files. They would be on say a USB memory stick. Aware that there's no USB on the Ipad but i've read there's an adaptor so you can connect USB/SD Card to the Ipad. Would it handle 720 Video files or just Standard Def. I play all my stuff on my laptop with VLC and i've seen there's a VLC app for the Ipad.

3. Emails. I saw briefly that there was an email section so would this cover my 2 email scenarios, Hotmail and my own private email (have my own domain) which i'd like to either view emails or have them downloaded Outlook style.

4. Office Documents. Whether it be full on Office 2010 Excel and Word files or possibly (i could convert down) Office 2007 or even still, the basic Works files (again spreadsheet and word files).

Would be nice to edit these but just viewing them would suffice at a push. I guess there is some programmes/apps that allow me to do basic calculations/record numbers/financial transactions and keep tabs on my spending etc etc.

5. Can't actually think of the 5th now so the above should do it!

Many thanks.

2. boyzie33

boyzie33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    You shouldn't have any problems with that list.

3. PeterH988

PeterH988

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    For no.2 be aware that it's a 'camera connector' and not an 'add-on usb port'

Although some people have had success connecting usb devices this way, it's not guaranteed to work and will depend on the device you're trying to connect and what you're trying to do with it. Perhaps it's just better to convert your movie files to .m4v, load them onto the iPad and view it the easy way. (use handbrake to convert, there's an iPad preset that does everything for you.)

There are a lot of banking apps out there, depending on who you use. The NatWest app is fine for me.

4. poppitypop

poppitypop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    You can do everything except for number 2 the usb thing. You could get yourself one of those special hard drives that work via wifi.

With regards to 4 - office documents, that is a resounding YES but you would need an app for it. I do recommend either Documents to Go or Quick Office and not Apple Pages/Numbers.