Wanted 4 bay NAS, with torrent client, plex server and able to transcode films

Discussion in 'Archived Classifieds' started by PhilPR, Feb 6, 2017.

1. PhilPR

PhilPR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi all,

I want to cut electricity costs and minimise boxes in the house.

Looking for a 4 bay NAS, able to run a torrent client, plex server and transcode movies if required during playback.

I have drives, but may be interested if you have some included.

Let me know what you have :)

Please be advised, all buyers and sellers should satisfy themselves that the other party is genuine by providing the following via private conversation to each other after negotiations are complete and prior to dispatching goods and making payment:

• Landline telephone number. Make a call to check out the area code and number are correct, too
    • Name and address including postcode
    • Valid e-mail address
    DO NOT proceed with a deal until you are completely satisfied with all details being correct. It's in your best interest to check out these details yourself.

2. PhilPR

PhilPR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Back to the top :)

3. AM303

AM303

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Phil, have you considered a HP microserver? It's got 4 bays, can be turned into 5 with some tweaking and should serve all your needs. It needs a bit of tinkering with the software to set it up but should serve all your needs and would cost a lot less than a synology or qnap. I've got one running xpenology and it works well. There's one for sale in the classifieds right now too.

4. Lleyton

Lleyton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
  5. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +604
  6. PhilPR

PhilPR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I did consider it but really want something free of fiddling with as low elec use as feasible, dedicated NAS seems the way to go. Although I am in IT and there's no excuse, I just cant be bothered to make the effort at home any more!! Although cheaper is better, it's not the primary driver for me choosing the NAS.
    Thanks for taking the time to post tho, I appreciate it.

7. PhilPR

PhilPR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks for the offer, as above tho I really just want something to turn on and work with minor tweaking. Smaller footprint is better as well, dedicated NAS just serves my needs better I think.

8. PhilPR

PhilPR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I was reading reviews and notes about plex server on this, it appears it can only transcode from 1080p to 480p max, not output 1080p after transcoding (after adding subs etc). Thats a killer for me, I need a full transcode capability , but thanks for the offer :)

9. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +604
    Are you sure?

From a quick scan, the RN20x is limited to this, but a few other articles seem to suggest that the 21x is able to handle 1080p in real time - Netgear ReadyNAS RN214 with Real-time 1080p Transcoding and Tips on running Plex Media Server on a ReadyNAS - NETGEAR Communities

10. PhilPR

PhilPR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Scott, thanks for the links.

I searched a lot and ended up seeing lots of evidence evidence confirming the details of the below thread as an example

Is transcoding supported at all on ReadyNAS 212/214? - Page 2

Even the Netgear product pages seem confused about transcoding but I can find no comments where someone says it actually has transcoded on the fly to 1080p, only 480p. I know this is old, but I have seen no solid reliable source claiming otherwise since that date.

An extract from the review you linked to below, which seems to support that it transcodes 1080p content on the fly, but is restricted to 480p output. Its confusing but its how I keep reading it.

Real-time 1080p Transcoding with the ReadyNAS RN214
    The Netgear ReadyNAS lets you stream home movies, TV shows, and more on your smartphone, tablet, or laptop. It literally lets you play 1080p movies in real-time without buffering or stuttering by integrating the Plex media server software (app) and using that system for remotely accessing that content. This real-time 1080p transcoding of content is what really sets the ReadyNAS product apart from the competition.

You set up Plex by signing into your ReadyCloud account, and going to the Admin area to install the Plex app. Then, you launch the Plex app and create an account (or just log in if you already have a Plex account). Adding our media was easy, and there are endless videos teaching you how to do this (no need to go into it here).

To enable remote access of your Plex media, you have to select the Settings icon in Plex, select Server, and ensure Remote Access is enabled and accessible. You can use the streaming settings to set mobile quality for mobile settings (480p is preferred for smart phones). If your source content is rated at 8-10 bits/sec at 24p, then real-time transcoding to 480p for movies should be flawless.

Because the ReadyNAS RN214 transcodes your media on-the-fly in real-time, you can now stream movies stored on your home ReadyNAS while you’re away from home and on a completely different network—including 4G cellular-based data networks.

Phil

11. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +604
    Understand your position. For me, that states that it drops to 480p when transcoding for mobile as it's done to a remote target on 4G... but it's all down to how you interpret it!