Question 4 bay NAS to 2 bay

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by Dan201, Jul 29, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Dan201

Dan201

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +649
    Hi all

I've got a Synology 4 bay NAS and I'm hoping to switch to a newer 2 bay Synology using the existing drives.

Am I able to do that and keep all my data? I'm just trying to plan ahead before the new one arrives, prepare anything that needs to be done etc.

Thanks for your help

2. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,331
    You might find the four drives a tight squeeze in the 2 bay nas :rotfl:

If you have two unused drives, take them out and put them in the new one and use rysnc to copy the data over. If you've used all the disks in any sort of raid, then you are going to need new disks or offload the data elsewhere before starting again.

Even if you have two disks striped together, I would think it unlikely they would just switch into the new nas. More likely, the new nas would see the drives and offer to format them. Or do it automatically!

You need to exercise extreme caution. If you don't have a backup, this is the perfect opportunity to duplicate your data.

3. Dan201

Dan201

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +649
    You were right, I just couldn't get those 4 drives to fit into the tiny 2 bays :)

Unfortunately I didn't have any spare drives but I've managed to do it. I took one of the drives out of the NAS and connected it to my PC. The NAS still operates as it has a redundancy of 1 drives in case of failure. I copied a load of stuff onto the drive that is now in the PC and copied the rest of the data over to my normal PC hard drive.

Luckily it all fitted. Now I can take the 3 remaining drives out of my old NAS, put 2 into my new NAS and copy the data over bit by bit.

A bit of a pain but it'll work out.

Thanks.