4-Bay NAS Noise and Performance: Netgear ReadyNas vs QNAP

OdieS

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I am currently running a 4-bay ReadyNAS NVX (populated with 3x 2TB Seagate Barracuda LP drives) and the noise levels from the unit and fan are quite high. Given that it sits in my living room at the moment, this is a bit unfortunate when streaming to my main HTPC.

Can anyone with a recent QNAP model tell me what the noise levels are like on their units? Do I just need to accept a certain noise level from a NAS of this size?

Also, what sort of real world performance levels are you seeing when copying content to/from the NAS. I have a GigaBit ethernet setup with a Netgear switch and some CAT6 cable, but haven't really seen write speeds of higher than around 21MB/s, which is good enough and certainly better than the ~6MB/s I was getting with a 100Mbps setup and a smaller ReadyNAS Duo a year ago.

I'm just wondering whether I'd see significantly faster performance from a newer unit running a dual-core Atom processor over the Intel (pre-Atom embedded platform) chip that is in the NVX.

I am currently running a 4-bay ReadyNAS NVX (populated with 3x 2TB Seagate Barracuda LP drives) and the noise levels from the unit and fan are quite high. Given that it sits in my living room at the moment, this is a bit unfortunate when streaming to my main HTPC.

Can anyone with a recent QNAP model tell me what the noise levels are like on their units? Do I just need to accept a certain noise level from a NAS of this size?

Also, what sort of real world performance levels are you seeing when copying content to/from the NAS. I have a GigaBit ethernet setup with a Netgear switch and some CAT6 cable, but haven't really seen write speeds of higher than around 21MB/s, which is good enough and certainly better than the ~6MB/s I was getting with a 100Mbps setup and a smaller ReadyNAS Duo a year ago.

I'm just wondering whether I'd see significantly faster performance from a newer unit running a dual-core Atom processor over the Intel (pre-Atom embedded platform) chip that is in the NVX.

I've had a number of QNAP (TS-109/119/659P+/219PII). Excluding the 109/119 which were fanlass and super quiet, the other two have fans (2 fans with 659) and both are quiet in themselves but the hard drives you choose can make a big difference.

I've also had a couple of Microservers (N36L/N40L) and they make less noise than the QNAP with them having a large low RPM 120mm fan.

Currently using a 2 bay TS-219ProII and a 5 drive HP N40L Microserver with both in my lounge (Microserver Behing HDTV) and I hear the fans in the Microserver a little bit more than the QNAP but the hard drives sound louder in the QNAP. None are overly loud but some Seagate drives I had were so noisy I had to change them.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. Replacing my 4-bay ReadyNAS NVX is going to be a reasonably expensive process (buying a replacement, copying the data across then selling the NVX) so I'd like to be certain that I'd get better noise levels and performance before proceeding.

I came to a Readynas NVX from a QNAP 209 and found it much quieter! Not sure what the more modern Qnaps are like though. Cooler running drives and a temperature controlled fan are a must for quieter running. I still keep an older QNAP single drive for the fact it is without fans.....
We need a bricks and mortar shop where you can go and listen to the things before buying :)
Ian

I think I have ruled out replacing the ReadyNAS NVX entirely as cost prohibitive just now. I'm still thinking of replacing the fan.

OdieS,

Bloody loud things aren't they. As you know, I replaced the fan, it has made it somewhat better, but still rather loud, too loud.

The unit itself is very good, performance too, but it's simply that fan, if they had only put a bigger than, everything would be top notch.

The 459 pro's look good, but again, you're shelling out on a lot of money for something you cannot test.

Having said that though, the NVX with Plex installed is working well. I still have an issue with my NVX where it fails to power up and I have to do it quite a few times before the blue LED light's up. Annoying.

Are you defo going to keep the NVX?

G.

I'm sticking with the NVX for now, haven't replaced the fan yet, but still considering it. At the moment it's fine, but will see how I get on with it since I'll actually be using my living room a bit more over the holiday period!

I'll be keeping an eye on any new NAS boxes that come out next year though, there has got to be something suitable (4-bay minimum) with a newer lower power Atom chip in 2012, hopefully with a focus on quiet operation.

My QNap 412 just arrived, will let you know what it sounds like when its setup and running

Seems pretty quiet so far.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom