1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4.30 software for AV32DP

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by jolaca, Jun 9, 2004.

1. jolaca

jolaca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again to you all!!,

I have not yet installed the 4.30 firmware to my av32DP (still on 4.20), however I recall that some of you did like very much the improvements appreciated. I also remember that Dr. Udo was going to talk about them and give some clues on the old forum. However I do not know if he did so. Dr Udo, could you please share more info about this software improvements??

Thanks in advance.

2. Bogi

Bogi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi,
    The 4.31 software is very nice (be sure to get the 4.31 as the 4.30 had some issues with the odd DTS 6.1 Discrete data stream on some oddly pressed DVD discs that were fixed in 4.31.

There are some nice DPLIIx added features that I founde so well that I've actually forgotten which ones they were! :laugh:

Cheers

3. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Remember you must have the DPLIIx licence installed otherwise you don't get any audio!

4. Dr Udo Zucker

Dr Udo Zucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Hi Jolaca, please find as attachments the drafts I created when preparing the webpages for AV32R DP v4.3 and AV32R DP v4.31. The first is an Acrobat Reader file, the second a GIF graphics file.

Sorry for the mix of formats, but I don't have access to the old TAG McLaren Audio server - just like you- hence I have to fall back to the drafts I made when defining the relevant pages. Depending on their origin (WP or Graphics based) they give different formats.

P.S.: I do not understand why the old website couldn't be transferred more closely- several years of accumulated knowledge has this way been "destroyed". Just my innocent opinion.

Attached Files:

5. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Its some paranioa about lawers getting richer I think....However as you say the infomation contained within the threads/posts and news/technical data areas is frankly of such value to existing/new and IAG it does begger belief that it is not available to us.....

6. jolaca

jolaca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot for your answers, specially yours, Dr Zucker.
    I did had already installed the Prologic IIx software(4.2) and license. I was intrigued by some of you telling that had identified an improvement in audio quality of Prologic IIx from 4.2 to 4.3/4.31. I think it was you, Bogi...no clue about why?...guess I will have to test it by myself.

Thanks again.

7. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    The improvement as far as I am aware was with DTS 5.1. The reason for this is that DTS had refined the code and these decoding refinements were included in V4.3.

8. Bogi

Bogi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Jolaca: Personally I think that there were quite a few refinements done in the 4.31 SW. The use of DPLIIx on HDCD material for instance. Also I did find that the bass somehow improved over the previous DPLII version. This hasn't been confirmed, but a few others noticed it as well.

As I run a seven speaker setup I use the DPLIIx a lot. Fact is, I often apply it on DD5.1 material as I find that it gives a broader feeling of space. After the DTS Discrete fix in 4.31 I'm very happy. As always, there's no going back. :thumbsup:

Cheers

9. jolaca

jolaca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bogi, I am also using a 7.1 setup so I also use very much PrologicIIx and like it a lot in my 4.2 ver. At first, I did not upgrade to 4.3 because of the reported problems on detecting some EX software. But now I am ready to install 4.31!!! The problem now is that I have a new laptop without serial port :-((. Any advices on wich usb to serial adapter buy?? I know someone has gone throw this before...I wish I could use the old forum and just search.

10. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    I think I remember hearing an improvement in the bass register from V4.1 and seem to remember that the whole bass processing was given a good workover at that time which would explain it. It was quite obvious that something had been done, it wasn't only noticable in DPLIIx......As usual the latest software is the one to have for DPLIIx licence holders.

11. babaroga

babaroga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  12. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hiya.
    Barry at the TMA helpdesk has the full details of the convertor we use here (which has never yet failed to work with any laptop.......)....It also doesn't cost the earth......

13. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Graham:

1. Can you please let us know which unit you are using as this has been a constantly frustrating issue for me.

2. Unfortunately, this is not much of an issue at this point, as I have not heard of any software upgrades in the offing.

Joel

14. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hi Joel.
    You only have to ask Barry as I'll bet he has a resonable list of devices that are known to work by now. The device we use is made by Blackbox, I'll dig out the model number if necessary but it is pretty obvious from their web site I seem to remember.
    Of course no-one can gaurentee that a particular device works in every situation (this I know you know!!!!), but as I said that particular device works for us.....
    Most of us here keep a few laptops with serial ports working for such things as updating stuff via serial port is still very common and don't need a load of horsepower to do it......Live and learn eh?

15. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks... the Blackbox is a little pricey on this side of the pond... I priced one out and it was in the order of GBP 40.00!

16. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Joel.
    You have a $14000 AV192R, whats another $50..... ;)

17. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Graham:

Good point... the issue is that, IMHO, when you sell a USD 14,000 pre/pro you should not have to source a USD 100 adapter to use it... in other words:

--> TMA should have included the adapter; or

--> TMA should have provided a "USB based" cable.

I know that this is not popular but... it is my view...

Cheers,

Joel

18. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Joel.
    Frankly if you expect any manufacturer to supply a bespoke solution to every problem you dream rather well :rotfl: TMA cannot be held responsible for the few people who happen to have laptops without a serial port these days.....When the TMA product was made almost all PC devices had serial ports, it is rather like saying that Ford should supply batteries and a charger for my Focus when petrol supplies run out....... :D
    TMA really cannot be blamed here at all......I can understand people's fustration when the problem comes to light but it is so easy to get around for anyone that really needs to ;)
    Sorry mate but you have the solution (one of many) so no symphathy from me this time.

19. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Graham:

Must disagree with you on this point... while it is true that virtually all PCs had serial ports when the AV32R was released this was not the case when the AV192R was released...

Sorry... just my $0.02

Joel

20. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hi Joel.

Apart from one or two laptops (without port replicators), all the 27,000 PC's in the corporation have at least one serial port (I just checked!).......The AV192R was released a long time ago now (maybe 2 or more years).
    RS485 is a good thing to have on the back for a lot of reasons, USB maybe not....and it would cost a darn sight more than a few dollars for a USB/serial port convertor! Remember that the AV192R was an upgrade to the AV32R/SP.....
    We are not going to agree on this one mate, live with it and buy a convertor for your laptop or carry a PC to the hi-fi...... ;)

21. AMCross

AMCross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Christ !

"all the 27,000 PC's in the corporation "

thats where our licence fee is going :laugh:

22. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49

He's just checked'em all !!!!! :)
    One of the best since glorious days of TAG's forum!!!!
    Cheers Graham, you made me laugh. . . . . Now I'm going to watch the game with the smile on my face.

23. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    It was easier than it sounded as they all apear on a couple of asset registers, just group the model numbers and manufacturer......(either DELL, COMPAQ or me), they all have serial ports ;) the actual number is probably higher than that, how do you think programmes are made these days :smashin:

Yes, of course I was taking the :censored: but I hope Joel got the message here :lesson:
    I needed a good laugh just in case we lost (which we didn't, so be afraid Portugal :) )

24. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I think they have different plans. During every game I exchange several SMS with our portuguese distributor. They are all strongly convinced they're going to win the cup, even were so after greek game. Just ask Antonio (or even Udo) if you do not believe :)

25. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Well I've got a bet on England loosing the match after penalties (where's Southgate when you need him) as I have a strong feeling of deja vu........

26. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Graham, now I finally know where from you can afford all these nice things.

Bookmakers, don't let this man in!!!!!!!!!! :nono:

27. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    It's paid for my month off in Florida :cool: :cool: :cool: You should see the jokes on e-mail today at Beckham's expense, see attached for one of the best....

Attached Files: