1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4:3 vs 16:9 question

Discussion in 'TVs' started by davee b, Jan 11, 2005.

1. davee b

davee b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm a bit confused :rolleyes: about different viewing formats. I have a dvd player and Set top box which both output as 4:3 picture format at the moment, i usually view the picture by changing to widescreen. Would the picture look different on the tv if i altered the output of the dvd player or stb to 16:9 and watched that as widescreen on the tv. Or does my question make sense to only me :clown: Forgot to add that this is using a widescreen tv.

2. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Davee b,

If you have a widescreen TV, then both DVD Player and STB should be set to widescreen (16:9) for correct display.

But, since the switching is very easy, why not try it yourself and see the effect?

Good luck. :thumbsup:

3. Clarkey

Clarkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Should be set at 16:9 for a widescreen tv, and most 4:3's too. This will output the 'anamorphic' picture, that is the 16:9 footage in a 4:3 frame, with everything stretched vertically, using all the available vertical lines rather than using up lines at the top and bottom for black bands. The TV then squashes it back into the right shape, giving better resolution and an improvement in PQ that even a blind man could see. Make sure you are using RGB output too, if you havent set that then it will be using composite signal, which is hugely inferior to RGB.

4. davee b

davee b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    OK guys thanks. :hiya: