4:3 via HDMI?

thebiggis

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have a number of "Cult TV" DVDs in 4:3 format. When I play these on my Toshiba SD-360E via HDMI the picture format is stretched into 16:1 & nothing will correct it. Excuse my ignorance but is this a usual occurance or would it be different on another manufacturer's player? Would component video be any different?:lease:

It's supposed to go 16:9 with HDMI. Can you not change to 4:3 on your tv?
That's what the rest of us do ,I imagine .

Is your DVD player upscaling to 1080i through the HDMI connection?
If so, some TV's (such as my Philips) lock the aspect ratio to 16:9 when receiving a 1080i picture. If this is the case you could try reducing the picture output on the DVD to 576p and see if you regain control of the aspect ratio that way. Sorry I can't be more 'model specific', but this is how I solve the issue with my Philips 32PF9830 and Sky HD.

Is your DVD player upscaling to 1080i through the HDMI connection?
If so, some TV's (such as my Philips) lock the aspect ratio to 16:9 when receiving a 1080i picture. If this is the case you could try reducing the picture output on the DVD to 576p and see if you regain control of the aspect ratio that way. Sorry I can't be more 'model specific', but this is how I solve the issue with my Philips 32PF9830 and Sky HD.

I've tried that but on my Philips PH37F5521 it makes no difference. Also attempting to resize the picture via the TV remote is impossible as the ratio stays at 16:9.

The HDMI spec will not allow aspect ratio selection when upscaling or using HD discs at 720/1080, but if the player is set to output 576 the display can then be changed to 4:3 etc, if the is not possible then the display device is the issue,

you could then try connecting via good quality component cables, again setting the output to 576i/p, then 4:3 should be selectable.

I too have a vast cult tv collection inc dr who,blakes 7 etc and watch them all on a sanyo PJ thru comp cables displaying at 576, pic is fantastic.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom