4:3 Size and Noise?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Ferrous, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Ferrous

Ferrous
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello.

I just got my 360 in the post, and I have a couple of questions:

Is there a way to force games (In this case GoW and Burnout) to 4:3 ratio? I have both a non-HD TV, and a PC monitor (with VGA cable which I bought). Both of them have the ugly black bars top and bottom, and I cannot seem to get rid of them. The Hard Drive came with Tony Hawks skating demo on it (Project 8?), and that plays full-screen, 4:3 ratio.

Also, noise - My '360 is 2nd-hand, so I don't know whether this is normal or a problem, but when the disk spins up, it makes a heck of a lot of noise. When idling, like in the Dashboard, it isn't very loud at all, but as soon as I click on play it whirrs up. It is loud enough that my dad could hear it over the phone when it was about 3 feet away, about head height.

Oh, finally, if anyone is selling a used controller, wireless or not, cheap (£10 or less) please PM me. I am looking for a cheap one (or two if they are very cheap!) to have when my cousins come 'round. Working, obviously.

2. Ferrous

Ferrous
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hmmm. I tried Burnout again, and this time it worked full-screen. I don't know what it is, but the first time I tried it on my TV, I used the 3 ports on the back. This time, I ran it through the scart adapter.

One more thing whilst I think about it - I am using a VGA lead bought from Amazon.co.uk to run the '360 on my LCD monitor. I have an adapter on the red+white plugs for sound, running to a male-to-male connector, with the speakers attached to the other end. So far, this is working well. But I would like to use my speakers for the PC too. Is there some kind of splitter I can buy for the speakers which will allow me to keep them plugged in? Either one that switches between PC and '360 automatically, or one with a manual switch. Oh, it also has to have a bit of a lead (1.5m+) so it can reach my PC.

3. Mad Jack

Mad Jack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I think it's down to whether the programmers added a proper 4:3 mode or not... I usually only run games in 16:9, but a friend of mine said that Battlefield 2:MC looked a bit rubbish on his 4:3 TV and that it didn't help that it had large borders at the top & bottom of the screen. I could be wrong, but I believe he said that Call of Duty 3 looked much better and that the lack of borders helped.

Don't think there's anything you can do about it apart from attempting to adjust your TV's aspect ratio settings (zoom mode?). That might enable you to fill your screen, but you'll either end up with stretching something out of proportion or losing some detail off the edges of the screen.

Noisy disc drives are 'par for the course' with the 360, I'm afraid! Mine makes varying amounts of noise depending on the game I'm playing......Test Drive: Unlimited usually runs quite nicely. Still noisy, mind you, but not too bad; Whereas my Gear of War disc grinds away like nobody's business! :(

4. Ferrous

Ferrous
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Coincidentally, GoW runs a lot louder on mine '360 too. Burnout isn't too bad at all.

5. Mad Jack

Mad Jack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    There was actually a thread where there was some speculation about the quality of the Gears of War game discs. Here it is for anyone that's interested.

But it's not the only disc that's noisy in my 360. Fight Night: Round 3 is pretty bad also, as was Call of Duty 2, but that was in my first 360 before it died. Somewhat annoyingly, Tiger Woods 2006 was fine on that machine, but is so noisy now that it makes the game virtually unplayable!

6. Ferrous

Ferrous
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am bringing this back, because I am still puzzled by the 4:3 ratio thing.

When I got the console second-hand, it already had THPS:p8 demo on it. This ran in widescreen first time, then 4:3 thereafter.

I just bought the full version of THPS:p8, and it refuses to run in 4:3.

PLEASE, is there any way to force it? I mean, if the demo will run in 4:3, surely the game will, right?

7. RottenFox

RottenFox
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,289
    not really,a lot can happen between a demo and a full version.
    and i would think that,4:3 screen owners/players would be in a minority,more so than widescreen owners/players.
    for the tv,if you set the 360 in video settings to FULL,then if a game has borders,theres not much you can do about it,unless your tv lets you zoom in etc.
    and for vga,if you select a resolution close to what the monitor is,like 1024x768,or 1280x720,or the like,then sync up the monitor(it should have an auto adjust button on it),or you can set it manually,that could/should get rid of borders.
    if not,then theres not much you can do.