1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4:3 screen mode on Panny 6 & Pio 434

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by andyatkins, Nov 26, 2003.

1. andyatkins

andyatkins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am considering taking the plunge & getting either a 6 series Panny or a Pio 434, but am concerned over how both seem to display in 4:3 mode when I've seen them being demo'ed.

Both models seem to show grey bars on the left & right not black bars which I find very distracting. Is it possible to select black for them or do you have to live with the grey colour? (BTW I know that the Pio has some option that shows an enlarged b&w image of the broadcast picture in the bars- it looks ridiculous).

Also I would be interested in anyone's views on how realisitic it is to expect whether either model allows you to view broadcast content in it's original form without either stretching or clipping everything. It just seems again from demo's that even widescreeen type signals are almost always stretched / distorted by the panels trying to be too clever. Personally I would prefer to see things undistorted & live with the bars (black only though!)

Thanks

2. jason t

jason t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    with the pioneer you can set the bars to mirror the image being displayed in the 4.3 portion
    (the mirrored portion is in b&w)
    jason

3. joys_R_us

joys_R_us

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i got quickly used to the stretched mode (I wonder myself).

And the future will be 16:9 as more and more broadcast is done in 16:9.

4. gmt steve

gmt steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have the Panny PW5 (previous model to PW6), and with that model you can select black for the side bars, or gray at low/mid/high levels. The reason for the gray is to reduce the effect of screen burn. Bear in mind also that JUST mode (psudeo widescreen) is unavailable via the VGA input.

5. Planet__

Planet__

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Steve, regarding your comment about 'Just mode' being unavailable via the VGA port.

This is untrue for the PW6. I have Sky(-+) connected to the (built in) VGA port using a syncblaster and all the modes are available - 16:9, Just, 4.3 and the (useless) zoom.