1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4:3 recommendations?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by organica, Dec 23, 2004.

1. organica

organica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all -

I'm about to buy a projector.
    About 75% of the DVD/VHS material I'll be watching is in 4:3, and the other use it's going to see is with my computer, mainly at 1024x768.

So it seems to me the sensible option is to go for a 4:3 projector, thus avoiding scaling issues etc.

However, most of the highest-rated new projectors seem to be native widescreen (e.g. Pana 700, Sanyo Z3, Sony HS51). I'm especially concerned by the 720 pixels vertical res on these, since it seems to me that no matter how good your scaling algorithm, 768 into 720 is a mathematically messy squash for computer gaming etc.

Can anybody recommend a good 4:3 resolution projector, one which could handle both the DVD/VHS stuff and the computer stuff gracefully?
    Or alternatively, has anybody got experience which can soothe my fears about firing a 1024x768 computer picture into a 1280x720 projector?

All the best -

Gordon k

2. Mark13

Mark13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Gordon,

My experience of projectors is pretty limited. However I have just purchased A Sharp XV-Z91E which is DLP 4:3 chip projector which I am extremely impressed with. It has a resolution of 800X600 so I am not sure if it would meet your requirements. There are good deals available on this PJ as it is a relatively old model. I got mine for under a grand which I thought was a bargain for a PJ of this calibre.

Good Luck

3. babyG

babyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apparently the benq 6100 is fab at 4:3 and is only £600+

I ended up getting the Toshiba mt200 last week

I do know that after trying a VHS video last night, the video player is getting moved into another room because of the lack of quality -- I would say VHS + PJ = :(

Dave