1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4:3 Projectors - How do you get Widescreen???

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by adwhitworth, Mar 29, 2003.

1. adwhitworth

adwhitworth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right, been looking at various projectors and most of them are actually 4:3. How do you lot get it to widescreen so they are played how they should be:rolleyes:

2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    All 4:3 projectors will have a widescreen mode the same as old 4:3 tv sets. You will then get a widescreen image with black (or dark grey) bars top and bottom.

Some, like the Nec HT1000 are quite clever and allow you to set the type of screen you use. If you have a 16:9 (widescreen) screen you can tell the pj this and it will always display a widescreen image and when you then watch 4:3 stuff it will give you black bars left and right as opposed to it displaying a 4:3 image as stndard and putting black bars top and bottom for widescreen stuff.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    .....and, of course, when you do this, you only end up using three-quarters of those pixels you have paid for.

If your main use of the PJ is either DVDs or digital TV - I'd look for a true 16x9 one.

4. mjones0

mjones0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What 4:3 home cinema projectors are worth considering around the £1500 mark?

With 16:9 there isn’t much of a choice at an affordable price point; just the PT-AE100, PT-AE300, Z1 and the HS10. With 4:3 projectors there’s a much larger choice and far fewer reviews from a home cinema perspective. The 4:3 projectors I’ve been looking at all seem to have fairly poor contrast. I’m going to buy a projector in the next month or so after I move house, and was going to go for the PT-AE300 for the better contrast and short through. 99% of the stuff I watch is 4:3 so I’d prefer a 4:3 projector but I can’t really find anything suitable.

5. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I think you will find (although I could be wrong) that most 4:3 projectors around the price you mention (in fact most 4:3 pjs full stop) are data units intended for the business market and won't be optimised for HC use (no de-interlacing, high brightness, low contrast etc).

Whilst you say much of your viewing is 4:3 don't forget that most of the broadcasters are moving to ws (even terrestrial channels are doing it with small - introductory - bars top and bottom and all Sky programmes will be WS in the next month or so) so a 16:9 pj like the AE300 (good choice from what I read) may be a better longer term investment (if there is such a thing in this game :D )

6. fama

fama
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    sharp xv-z90e 4/3
    in my opinion excellent picture for the
    price i paid 1600 but now avail for £1400 well it was the last time i checked
    shares some features of z9000

7. mjones0

mjones0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Messiah, I’ll mostly be using it for watching anime DVDs which are predominately 4:3. I want it to have the most impact with my anime DVDs so I’m happy to suffer with boarders when watching TV and movies.

Fama, thanks for the advice. Definitely looks good with a great contrast ratio. I’m not really sure what DLP is so I think I’ll go and read up about it.