1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4:3 projector and correct DVD setting

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Philly112, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,478
    Now, this may be a stupid question, but how should I set the output on my DVD player when using a 4:3 projector?
    As I (now) understand it, I need to set the DVD to 16.9 to correctly display anamorphic DVD's. If I do this, when playing through the pj (Sharp Z91E), the image needs stretching. If the DVD is set to 4:3, the image is the correct size (eg 16.9 fills my 16.9 screen), but I have been told that this is not anamorphic, and I am losing up to 30% resolution.
    I will check it all out tonight (my room not dark enough at the moment!!), but I would appreciate any advice.
    I have currently been watching with the DVD set to 4:3, and although the pic is brilliant, I have a sneaking feeling that this is wrong, and I've spent 3 weeks not seeing it at anywhere near it's best! (this is probably the wow factor still with me).
    Thanks in advance for any help - if I don't hear by tonight I will check it all out and let you know what I see!
    Phil

2. gothmog

gothmog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unless the Z91 has a '16:9' mode (which will squish the anamorphic stretch) then it will not be able to display anamorphic DVDs correctly.

In this case 4:3 is the correct setting.

-- Jon

3. venkman

venkman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The Z91 WILL have a 16:9 mode, so set the dvd player to 16:9 and the projector to 16:9 mode. For a 4:3 dvd, just change the projector to 4:3 mode.