1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4:3 o/p projector for W/S?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by stalefish, Aug 22, 2002.

1. stalefish

stalefish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an Infocus LP435z DLP (4:3) projector on it's way to me as i type...
    i need to know what will happen when I'm viewing widescreen movies (i'd like to bulid my own widescreen format screen, can't stand a regular format huge screen!)

Any way around this?

TIA

2. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    assuming your DVD player is set to 16:9, then you'll get black bars top and bottom. This may not be actually black, so you might need something to catch the overspill, especially if your walls are light.

3. stalefish

stalefish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So if I cover the rest of the wall I'm screening onto in dark cloth I should be ok?
    Also Is there a way to convert the 4:3 output from my pace DTVA and PS2 to fit the format of my screen (16:9)
    i know you can get pro video scalers but they are thousands!

Any help would be appreciated!

4. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    If you set up your Set top box as 16:9, then use your projectors zoom controls to 16:9 mode, then you might be able to project a widescreen image (depends on your projector controls)

Then you could fill the 16:9 screen with a 16:9 TV program. Downside is that if you watch 4:3 programs, then it'll either have bars left and right, or it'll spill over the top/bottom of the screen.

If you are lucky, you might be able to set it up so at max zoom it fills the 16:9 screen, then when 4:3 material comes on, you zoom out and the 4:3 will fit nicely in the screen.