1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4:3 LCD PJ and DVD player - What settings?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Markie Boy, Apr 1, 2003.

1. Markie Boy

Markie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Perth, Western Australia (Originally Ireland)
    Ratings:
    +228
    Just playing around with a NEC Vt460 LCD projector which is native 4:3 (800 X 600). What should I set the standalone DVD player setting to for optimum pic quality? 16:9 or 4:3 Letterbox?

Cheers
    Markie Boy

2. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    (All the below is assuming we are talking PAL) (And probably contains flawed maths...)

If you set your DVD player to 16:9 anamorphic, it will be outputting the full 576 lines of information. Your projector will then scale the image to make a 4:3 image. By my calculation (9/16 * 800) that will give you 450 lines of resolution.

If you set your DVD player to 4:3 letterbox, it will be outputting 432 lines of picture information. (9/16 * 768). So theoretically this is (slightly) worse.

There really probably isn't a great deal of difference, and the overscan on the projector probably lands the figure somewhere inbetween the above two figures anyway.

What probably matters most is which device has the better scaler. If the DVD has the better scaler, you will get better results running it in letterbox mode. If the projector has the better scaler (more likely IMHO), you will get the best results running in true 16:9 mode.

The two options may also give you a picture which have slightly different aspect ratio (UK PAL TV doesn't have square pixels). One of the two options may simply look more "right".

I really don't think it will make much difference - I'd try both and settle with the one which seems best?

Steve