4:3 Images on Freeview

P

PAULYM

I think this is something that may have been discussed on previous threads but i need to make this clear so bear with me.

I have a Samsung LE32R41 lcd with integrated Freeview wich i think is great, but recently on some programmes i have had to watch it in 4:3, and the screen will not create a full screen image using the various scrren size options. i know someone else who also has this problem with the same tv, so i'm fairly sure that this is normal (i guess that it is to do with the format being broadcast and that the tv thinks it is showing a widescreen image).

i just need someone to confirm this and if possible help me get full screen images again (preferably with having to use an external freeview tuner!)

Thanks

If the broadcaster is broadcasting a 16x9 signal containing a 4x3 picture and some black sides (together making up a 16x9 shape) then it seems unlikely your TV would be able to do anything except display it as broadcast.

In any case, the right way to watch 4x3 material, however it is broadcast, is 4x3 (which means, black sides). Anything else is either distorted or cropped.

Yeah, the broadcaster can force you into watching 4:3 pictures in their original proportions. Personally I'd never want to distort any pictures, let alone on a 32" screen, but that's just me.

LV426 said:
If the broadcaster is broadcasting a 16x9 signal containing a 4x3 picture and some black sides (together making up a 16x9 shape) .

But is this the case? Thats what i really wanted to know. Is everyone with integrated digital having this problem? It usually happens on itv2 and the film i watched on ch5 last night was 4:3.

PAULYM said:
But is this the case? Thats what i really wanted to know. Is everyone with integrated digital having this problem? It usually happens on itv2 and the film i watched on ch5 last night was 4:3.
It's not no. That's a problem with Samsung's latest Freeview firmware. There was a thread about it a while back...

I've never upgraded the tv at all? Can anyone give me a link to the thread that explains how? or if it's simple can someone explain it to me now? any help would be much appreciated!:lease:

do yourself a favour and do not upgrade your freeview software... it's actually worse than the previous one which defies all logic.

Whats wrong with the upgrade? does it sort out the 4:3 problems and what sort of changes does it make exactly?:confused:

It actually locks some of the channels which normally were in 16:9 into 4:3.

This is why I ask you earlier if you had upgraded it.

It's called an upgrade but I classify it as a downgrade (if anything).

Whappers.

PAULYM said:
Is everyone with integrated digital having this problem? It usually happens on itv2 and the film i watched on ch5 last night was 4:3.

well bud i would say its not your freeview as i have never even seen a 4:3 picture on channel 5 def not a film. I have just upgraded my freeview only the other week and did not notice any difference bud so i would upgrade what have you got to lose and i would keep trying different things ie;try going through different inputs s-video/scart/etc i have heard tvs can go mad going from 16:9 to 4:3 and back again and again really quickly ,maybe a phone call to the place of purchase would'nt go a miss ,sorry i could'nt help more good luck

i would keep trying different things ie;try going through different inputs s-video/scart/etc ]

sorry bud your freeview is integrated isinit thus you cant mess about with inputs i would ring the place of purchase

This is where it gets interesting, take ch5 for example, the film (which was the postman by the way) was 4:3 but the ads were 16:9! this makes me fairly confident that it is to do with the broadcast. But i'm not sure any changes i make to to the set will remedy this. Having said that not many other people seem to be having this trouble. Also i've just thought it may be just the 1 or 2 programs i watch which are doing it! If anyone watches spin city on itv2 can they tell me what ratio they watch it in!!! As far as taking it to the place of purchase, i work in a shop which sells these so i have to help myself (i could phone samsung but manufacturers are rarely helpfull)

Ok, well judging by the fact that you say it only occured during a film and not during the adverts definately suggests that it is to do with CH5 and not your freeview software or TV set. It's not the TV's fault. It is CH5's.

Whappers said:
Ok, well judging by the fact that you say it only occured during a film and not during the adverts definately suggests that it is to do with CH5 and not your freeview software or TV set. It's not the TV's fault. It is CH5's.
Not necessarily, the upgrade(?) only locked 4.3 transmissions into 4.3 but when the ads came on they went back to widescreen. Personally I put mine back to the old firmware. However if he bought the TV recently then the upgrade I got is now standard. Samsung are going to do another OTA upgrade to resolve the problem back.
Admittedly I can't explain the chan5 broadcast of the Postman. I would have thought that was widescreen anyway. If Chan5 had transmitted it in 4.3 would that not have affected everyone and not just this TV???

chriszzzzzz said:
Not necessarily, the upgrade(?) only locked 4.3 transmissions into 4.3 but when the ads came on they went back to widescreen. Personally I put mine back to the old firmware. However if he bought the TV recently then the upgrade I got is now standard. Samsung are going to do another OTA upgrade to resolve the problem back.
Admittedly I can't explain the chan5 broadcast of the Postman. I would have thought that was widescreen anyway. If Chan5 had transmitted it in 4.3 would that not have affected everyone and not just this TV???

This is all correct! I've had the tv a few months now but i'll find out exactly which firmware version i have. I guess the copy of the postman that channel 5 have was modified to 4:3 but have yet to hear if anyone else had to watch it in 4:3? I'll keep my eye's peeled for the next available firmware upgrade!:)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom