1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4:3 DVD playing on old TV? How to setup

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by felix_li, Mar 11, 2005.

1. felix_li

felix_li

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm using Denon 3910 and an old fashion CRT TV/w only S-video input. I can't find any setting in TV about screen size. Can I force the screen size to 4:3 in 3910? Set TV size to 4:3 p&s in 3910 has no effect at all.

Appreciate if someone can help.

2. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I assume that you're trying to get widescreen material to display as full screen 4:3 material (i.e. without black bars top and bottom) yes?

If so I'm afraid you're out of luck. The 4:3 P&S mode only works with discs that have particular flags encoded to set a 4:3 "safe" area within the widescreen picture where the main action is. The DVD player effectively crops the picture to just the part defined as the safe area.

However, the number of discs that support this is extremely small - the only disc I've come across that supports it is American History X. I think the reason for this is that most people now prefer to watch films in the full cinematic aspect ratio, which means in most cases the image will be wider than 4:3 and thus will have black bars top and bottom of the screen.