1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4:3 border colour on pw6

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Koalaboy, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Koalaboy

Koalaboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Well, after a day with my PW6, I'm convinced it was the best decision I could have made. Absolutely loving the picture quality, and I haven't even got my component boards setup yet.

The only thing bothering me at the moment are the grey borders when in 4:3 mode (I'm running RGB throught the JS RGB->VGA converter if it makes a difference).

Is there any way to change this to black, maybe in the service menu or something, or have I got my setup jinxed somehow ?

I don't have much 4:3 material, but it would be nice if it could be black. If this is just the way it is, then at least I know.

Many thanks for any help.

2. Koalaboy

Koalaboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Seems I keep finding my own answers :rotfl:

In case anyone else hits the same problem, it's the "side panel" setting in the screensaver section of set-up. Mine was on 'high' which made them ligth grey. By turning it off, they go black.

Is there likely to be any adverse effect to turning this off ?

Michael.

3. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I think grey is recommended, to prevent image retention, especially during the 'run in' period

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Grey is indeed there to protect the Plasma phosphors from uneven ageing (aka burn-in).

All plasmas age, all the time they are in use. The phosphors get gradually dimmer, depending on how brightly, and for how long, they are lit. If this gradual dimming occurs evenly across the whole screen, it will never become perceptible. However, if one part of the screen ages more rapidly than another, the part will, in time, become noticeably dimmer than the rest. And you see this as a permanent effect. This is what "burn-in" is. It's most often seen when you watch a digital channel with a bright white logo for prolonged periods, where the area of the logo gets darker than the surrounding due to its more rapid ageing, due in turn to its disproportionately high level of illumination.

When watching 4x3 material with a black border, the centre piece of the screen is illuminated whereas the sides aren't. Averaged out over the length of, say a TV show or film, this has the same ageing effect, on the centre of the screen, as continuous grey (at a given level).

So - the grey sides are there to ensure that the whole screen area ages (dims) at roughly the same rate and hence never becomes visible.

5. Koalaboy

Koalaboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Thanks for the replies.

I've put it back to 'mid' grey, and we'll just get used to it for the odd 4:3 programs we watch.

Thanks again. :smashin:

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,463
    mcihaelj

If its only occasionally that you watch in 4:3 mode then you wont have any issues with the side bars set to near black - the grey bars are a must if you watch a lot of TV in 4:3 though.

Best regards

Joe